I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-5409-12688346546886_thumb.jpgpost-5409-12688346478677_thumb.jpgHere are photos of my on post-5409-12688346425807_thumb.jpgsite shop.

Nice "site" shop you have there Glenn. I'm betting there might be room for a coffee pot and maybe even a comfy bunk for those special sites.

Where was the pic taken? It could be from about anywhere around here right now.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

The site without snow is Big Sky Montana, and with the snow is Jackson Hole Wy. Big Sky was in Oct. and Jackson in Jan. It snow a little everyday in Jackson and only got up to about 8 degrees F. Beautiful sunny days made is pretty darn nice.
I use my trailer for on site work. Band saw, portable welder gen, work bench with vise, air compressor, sometimes plasma. If it's railings or more than 2 sets of fireplace doors I use the trailer for install. If one or 2 sets of fireplace doors I will take them in the truck. The Jackson home had 3 sets of doors, 2 smaller ones, 36" x 36" and one set 3.5' x 8'. Roses on one, pine cones and branches on another and then an aspen grove on the large set.

Interior photos of my studio. Photos were taken at 2 separate times, first the clients were coming to see the progress on their fireplace doors. 2 large ones were about 5.5' x 4.5' with arched top. I will attach a photo of one of these installed in an outside fireplace. The 2nd photo shoot was when I had a studio open house this past Nov.
I have a 2B and 3B Nazel hammers set up on the right side and on the left side of one photo under the blue grantry crane is a 1B I am rebuilding. To the right of the 3B is a Trip Air 35 or 40 lb. air hammer. I bought it in 1987 and it was the first one sold by 2 fellows in North Carolina. It was the before Big Blu, Kinyon etc. The Trip Air is what really started all the other small air hammers. I run it off a 5hp IR air compressor. Also KA 75 and a 24 ton hydraulic press which I built 4 years ago. Acorn platen table and several anvils, vises etc.
It is about 40' x 44' with 16.5 ceiling. Two 12' x14" overhead doors to the north.
One photo with 2 of us working and on the acorn table frame and doors for a 4' x8' fireplace

post-5409-12698070521355_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698070578877_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698070634962_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698070697109_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698070749982_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698070809013_thumb.jpg

post-5409-12698073997229_thumb.jpg

Interior photos of my studio. Photos were taken at 2 separate times, first the clients were coming to see the progress on their fireplace doors. 2 large ones were about 5.5' x 4.5' with arched top. I will attach a photo of one of these installed in an outside fireplace. The 2nd photo shoot was when I had a studio open house this past Nov.
I have a 2B and 3B Nazel hammers set up on the right side and on the left side of one photo under the blue grantry crane is a 1B I am rebuilding. To the right of the 3B is a Trip Air 35 or 40 lb. air hammer. I bought it in 1987 and it was the first one sold by 2 fellows in North Carolina. It was the before Big Blu, Kinyon etc. The Trip Air is what really started all the other small air hammers. I run it off a 5hp IR air compressor. Also KA 75 and a 24 ton hydraulic press which I built 4 years ago. Acorn platen table and several anvils, vises etc.
It is about 40' x 44' with 16.5 ceiling. Two 12' x14" overhead doors to the north.
One photo with 2 of us working and on the acorn table frame and doors for a 4' x8' fireplace

I have to agree with Dillon, that IS awfully clean Glenn! Normally I would express some degree of envy for your three Nazels but recently some of the mean guys here have posted pictures of their dozen or so "working" hammers, so I'm not going to set myself up for more envy pangs.

Nice shop you have there Glenn. Sorry, I have a personal problem calling a working metal shop a studio. That's just me though.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

I have to agree with Dillon, that IS awfully clean Glenn! Normally I would express some degree of envy for your three Nazels but recently some of the mean guys here have posted pictures of their dozen or so "working" hammers, so I'm not going to set myself up for more envy pangs.

Nice shop you have there Glenn. Sorry, I have a personal problem calling a working metal shop a studio. That's just me though.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

Well Frosty the studio is clean and I did that for the clients coming to review the work I was doing for them. I didn't want them tripping over or running into something. Of course when I am working and there is more clutter then it looks like a shop.

Michael, the screen is a small gate I made many years ago in a Francis Whitaker workshop. Forge welded corners and all.

Well Frosty the studio is clean and I did that for the clients coming to review the work I was doing for them. I didn't want them tripping over or running into something.

You're perfectly right of course Glenn, in spite of MY jokes, I feel there's no excuse for unsafe conditions in a shop, especially if there are visitors. Even if it's to keep a good showroom presence a clean shop is a joy to visit and work in. I wish I had more of a neat streak in me somewhere.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

Well, I have two shops. My shop at home is in a 24' x 30' barn. In my home shop I use one coal forge and two gas forges, two anvil's, layout table, treadle hammer, swage block, along with various other pieces of equipment and tools. I don't have any good pictures of my home shop though.

My other blacksmith shop is in an old, one time ghost town here in Oregon called Shaniko. It's just a small shop with a coal forge, anvil, post drill, vice, and work bench for the most part. See pictures below.

post-11422-12704151571343_thumb.jpg

post-11422-1270415203272_thumb.jpg

post-11422-1270415251959_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like a well used and homelike, cluttered with good stuff; a comfortable and efficient place to work.

The wire frame table as tool and such rack by the forge is a right good idea. I've been planning something similar from waste pieces of the "Ranch Panel Fencing" we use for the goat yard. On the other hand I do see the same kinds of shelving units you used for your tool/utility table pretty often at yard/garage sales so I'm keeping that option in mind.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I took numerous pictures this weekend - must have had the bug - here is a bit of a 360 look at the inside of my shop.

I got the 50# LG up and running this fall/winter. Runs good and makes me think of new projects to use it for all the time.

Also the mallet is the second one I have made - the first was with a piece of 4x4, but it exploded. This one is a piece of cedar so it is very soft. I use the knot end for extra heft.

Enjoy...

JL

post-5371-12728981507783_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12728981555575_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12728981603046_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12728981660108_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12728981720054_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12728981777035_thumb.jpg

post-5371-1272898194012_thumb.jpg