I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i sure am missing the shinler in the shop at ducktown. ive been reading up on your hammer conversation on the other threads, you realy going to pull the big niles 750 up the hill and to the new shop? i sure do need to make it to atlanta and see what yall are doing in your shops

This is my shop. I'am new to this only been smithing for a little over a year. My garage is 30 X 32 with 10ft side walls, with a 12 x 30 heated shop area. Equipment includes a 165lb peter wright anvil mounted on a cherry stump, a 160lb swedge block 70lb indian chief vise, hobart 200amp mig welder, a 1907 champion post drill, a diamond back 3 burner forge, a champion pump action coal forge. lastly a 1935 9in southbend lathe.

I have photos of my great grand father standing in his blacksmith shop in Filley Nebraska around 1920 there is also a photo of his shop. I had them enlarged to 18 x 24 and made frames out of hammered angle iron. The south bend lathe was purchased by my grand father in 1935. Amoung the tooling and stuff I aquired with the lathe I have a book where he recorded all the jobs he did and what he made on each job. First job was in Feb 1935 turned an armiture for 25 cents.

My shop is multifuncional. One of my other hobbies is bowhunting so I shut down the blacksmithing in January to make sausage and deer sticks which is always nice to have a frige full of snack sticks the rest of the year when I am working in the shop.

post-9934-12642189913185_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642190079276_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642190545194_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642190843812_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642191034994_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642191224171_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642191463758_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642191655995_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642191865444_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642192179636_thumb.jpg

post-9934-12642192659758_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is as much to see if I've figured out how to attach a pic. Would you believe I HAD to read the instructions?!? :blink:

Anyway, this is my shop as seen from the house. I'm hanging the sheathing on the end wall. Maybe I'll get some pics inside once it's cleaned and ordered better.

With fingers crossed I click on "Add Reply"!

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-12655884371678_thumb.jpg

This is as much to see if I've figured out how to attach a pic. Would you believe I HAD to read the instructions?!? :blink:

Anyway, this is my shop as seen from the house. I'm hanging the sheathing on the end wall. Maybe I'll get some pics inside once it's cleaned and ordered better.

With fingers crossed I click on "Add Reply"!

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty,
Looks like a luxurious soon-to-be man-cave to me, but I'm a sucker for a metal building...Pretty beautiful scenery in the background as well.
-DB

Frosty,
Looks like a luxurious soon-to-be man-cave to me, but I'm a sucker for a metal building...Pretty beautiful scenery in the background as well.
-DB

Thanks Dave it's close to finished now, needing insulation and proper wiring. She's a sweet little hidey hole all right. This pic shows the house behind and to the left. The other pic shows one of the local tasty critters, about one chest freezer's worth.

As a further bit of shop talk I got to spend a few hours in mine yesterday. That might not sound like a big deal but it's the first time I've set foot in mine since getting hit by a birch kicking back on Sept 28. Yesterday I got my first blacksmithing check ride, an accoumplished local blacksmith, Metalmangler to you guys, came over with his daughter Becka to make sure I could safely work in the shop. After what the Great White Birch did to me I'm lucky I'm not living in a wheel chair drooling, heck I'm lucky to be alive at all. Still I survived serious TBI and have been recovering for months. To get to light a fire in my forge, heat and beat some steel, do a little chasing and then play a little hardball with the power hammer was like coming home. B)

I'm still not cleared to go at it like I used to but that's reasonable, heck I'm not going to use the power hammer unless someone else is with me just to be sure. I still have some issues, most notable being an equilibrium that isn't steady day to day. Sometimes just looking down quickly can put me into spins. That's a BAD thing standing at a power hammer eh?

Anyway, I got to take another big step back and I'm feeling pretty good. Heck, you guys played a huge part in me making it from the all prayers to the support you sent to Deb, to directly leaning on insurance companies and hospitals for us.

My shop is yours, visit Alaska and drop by, we'll have some fun.

Frosty the Lucky

post-975-12660448534368_thumb.jpg

post-975-126604566936_thumb.jpg

Cool shoes Frosty!
Did you bag the bear yourself? ;)

That wasn`t you up on the roof in the first photo was it?Don`t make us call Deb,some of us still have her on speed dial!

I'm bearfooted, you'd think nobody in the lower 48 has ever heard of going bearfoot I get so many comments!

Yeah that's me on the roof but that was 2 years ago and Deb took the pic. Feel free to give her a call, I'm sure she'd like a chance to talk to one of her "hairy faced blacksmiths". She loves you guys you know.
Frosty the Lucky

Thanks Dave it's close to finished now, needing insulation and proper wiring. She's a sweet little hidey hole all right. This pic shows the house behind and to the left. The other pic shows one of the local tasty critters, about one chest freezer's worth.

My shop is yours, visit Alaska and drop by, we'll have some fun.

Frosty the Lucky

Frosty the Lucky,
What a close call you had. It's great to hear you're on the mend and able to get back out into the shop. I'm sure that will be the best medicine for you. Thanks for the additional photos, too. I think you just might live in paradise. I grew up in Boise, Idaho surrounded by mountains and have eaten Elk, Deer, Bear and all manner of fish and fowl, but never got around to moose. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it up there to God's country, I'll look you up.

PS, I think it's time to trim those toenails...

-DB

Hi Frosty,

Glad to see you getting back into the workshop,

Take care and take your time,

A wise old man once told me, only three things got in a rush, Babies, bent fenders, and bad decisions and you don't need none of them at the moment (or worse).

My main forge space is a small corner of my classroom (fortunately my classroom is the school shop). Came equipted with a small Wayne gas forge, anvil and some tools. Small but just the right size for what I do.

My travel forge is somewhat more "airy". I like using this one alot.

Plans are to eventually turn my backyard shed into my home smithy - sometime down the line.

Sam

post-4558-12662847982839_thumb.jpg

post-4558-12662848531066_thumb.jpg

Frosty, if I recall correctly, you were incorporating a floor anchor/smoke removal system into the floor slab of your shop. How did this work out? Have you had a chance to use it yet?

Yes I did Mark. The floor has 2" sq receiver tubes flush mounted every 4" on a grid. They're all connected under the slab so I can put suction to them with a blower. I haven't used it for a down draft exhaust system yet but I have mounted some tools in receivers and even straightened one of the corner posts for the shop, using the recievers, pins and hydraulics.

The floor also has 2/3" PEX hydronic heat tubing in it for infloor heat one of these days. I've posted a couple pics, I think under shop pics or maybe the shop floor thread. Nothing very exotic or exciting I'm afraid, espceially seeing as the moose let me be.

Frosty the Lucky

Yes I did Mark. The floor has 2" sq receiver tubes flush mounted every 4" on a grid. They're all connected under the slab so I can put suction to them with a blower. I haven't used it for a down draft exhaust system yet but I have mounted some tools in receivers and even straightened one of the corner posts for the shop, using the recievers, pins and hydraulics.

The floor also has 2/3" PEX hydronic heat tubing in it for infloor heat one of these days. I've posted a couple pics, I think under shop pics or maybe the shop floor thread. Nothing very exotic or exciting I'm afraid, espceially seeing as the moose let me be.

Frosty the Lucky

Adding CCTV to help keep Deb sane?
Phil