Alec.S

Show me your shop!

More of a Patio Work space than a shop.  But does the trick, and for sure it is too hot here to work indoors:

forge overal all view 1.JPG

forge overal all view 3.JPG

Nice breezy looking shop! We tropical dwellers have to worry about the heat. Unbearable today!

Never seen an anvil like that.  It needs a pair of eyes !

My Thai neighbors think I am out of my mind.  Out there banging on hot metal when it is 40c+.  But this time of year it is nice.  I the morning maybe in the 20c range.  I fabricated the anvil myself.  90 kilo- S50C steel.  

90 kg !!! That's a pretty serious anvil! Doesn't look that big in the pic. You did a great job to make that. Is the horn square for any reason?

And yeah, people have questioned my sanity, as I'm banging away over a hot anvil in our midsummer. Lots of sweat on the anvil today. I think why am I not at home in the aircon watching the test cricket on TV?

It is solid solid man!!  Part of the reason is it is basically a solid steel box, so you have a huge amount of mass throughout the entire anvil.  The anvil is all done on CNC,  I only made the horn flat on the prototype because I was not sure exactly how I wanted to shape it.  I will likely ease the top edges slightly and then the bottom edge stronger, coming to basically an oval shape at the end. (using my BAAG big xxx angle grinder!)  Once I decide on the final form I will make another prototype.  I hope to market these if I can get the shipping logistics figured out.  Because they are CNC, I can offer some customizing features for the user/buyer.  

Upsetter,  You better just hang it up because that space is just terrible......Just kidding of course!  Many of us can only dream of a dedicated shop like that with all those goodies.  My power hammer only comes in the right hand or left hand version powered by breakfast and lunch.  Someday.............Ahhh, I can dream right?  

Seriously, nice set-up.

18 hours ago, MC Hammer said:

Upsetter,  You better just hang it up because that space is just terrible......Just kidding of course!  Many of us can only dream of a dedicated shop like that with all those goodies.  My power hammer only comes in the right hand or left hand version powered by breakfast and lunch.  Someday.............Ahhh, I can dream right?  

Seriously, nice set-up.

Lol, 

thank you guys ! It’s still developing as I get it all set up.

Happy new year to all of you 

Here is my ( glad to have what I do) shop. I'm in perpetual " trying to organize " mode. 

It is going to be changing a bit once the weather breaks. untill then I'm doing what I can.

of course I did a little cleaning. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tragic lack of clutter and equipment... Looks like you can walk through it without sucking in your gut and edging round things.

I.F.I. Denizens,

The savants at SLAG INDUSTRIES .L.L.C. have had their priorities redirected and immediately been re-assigned to analyze this sad state of affairs, chez Das. Inc.

The preliminary results are in. The finding is a serious case of obsessive compulsive disorder. Other maladies are strongly suspected.

But results concerning same will have to await receipt of analysis of extensive blood and C.S.F. (cerebral spinal fluid), work. 

Further tests may be required pending preliminary results.

Fear not we have qualified staff to conduct such work. and list of certified consultant quacks should that need arise.

Fear not Herr. Das,

only the first 60 years are difficult. After that you will not notice much to be worried about.

Others be careful fight the urge to eat off the floor. We do not want anyone to get splinters.

the SLAG.

60 years, I'm on the upper side of that....You should have seen my detached 1920's garage in the inner city of Columbus OH, I was finding stuff cheap and stacking it up for when I moved to the country and perhaps took early retirement...Didn't get really bad till the city told me I had to get rid of the wrought iron from the old Ohio Penitentiary Water tower *immediately* and I was recovering from a month of pneumonia and so stacked the jagged pieces (45 pounds to 180 pounds) vertically inside one of the garage doors.  Someone broke in through that door once; but as I didn't see any blood, skin, or cloth perhaps they thought better of crossing the grater...