I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

She ain't much, but she gets the job done (sorta like me, come to think of it!). Because of some storm damage a month or so ago I had to build a new workbench and relocate my shop just a bit. Not as much shade from the pecan tree but the umbrella is called upon when necessary. Someday when I grow up to be a big and strong Smith I'll have a shop as nice as you guys, but for now this works just fine.

post-53103-0-37915100-1407010353_thumb.j

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as part of my ongoing cleaning up project, probably the last time you will see my little forging corner as neat as this. Gas forge goes under the fan and the coal forge stands outside the door. The table is cluttered with stuff and projects I need to make a go or stay decision on.

Forgery.jpg

Where Did you Acquire that LIL Black Power Hammer Sir ?

• 4 months later...

You guys have some sweet shops out there. Like that little black hammer. If I had a open shop not sure what would take place if I left this earth suddenly. But really like it allot, very much envy on all your shops here.
If mine own ever gets done, I'll put some pictures up. As I have a contractor that has 2 speeds, stop n reverse,,,lol

Been 16 months now n still no insulation nor steel on house side. Always something it seems. Not sure what God is tryin to teach me on this project? Smile But have a floor an apron poured now, only took 5 months. My after thoughts,,, Have a few n then some. Nice shops guys, thanks for the pictures. Ty

Greetings All,

Winter is here and we all are fighting the cold in our shops.  In the winter I close down most of my shops, all but one and move into the city to weather the Michigan winter..  I purchased a building in the city and built a small heated work area inside the building...  I decided that a small area was just not enough for the projects that I have planed..  I will pass on the interesting way that I designed a simple structure to increase my work area that can be disassembled in just 15 minuets .   The interesting thing is the wall and ceiling ..  The wall upright is just barn metal entrapped between two unistrut channels for the full support of the roof which only weighs 35 pounds...  I welded brackets to the unistrut and used simple 1in electrical conduit for the celing support..  It is easy to heat with just a small oil radiator heater when I need the extra space...   I spend several hours of the day at the shop and am enjoying retirement a whole bunch.   As luck would have it my shop is located 2 blocks from a metal warehouse and 3 blocks from the gas and weld shop ... and ... I can walk to Home Depot and Tractor Supply ..  Is life great or what..   One might think I planned it that way...   I wish you all well and a good year..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-51585200-1418862100_thumb.j

post-30666-0-54535800-1418862193_thumb.j

post-30666-0-20395200-1418862240_thumb.p

post-30666-0-86522000-1418862285_thumb.p

post-30666-0-21358500-1418862325_thumb.p

post-30666-0-03016200-1418862417_thumb.p

post-30666-0-46871600-1418862456_thumb.p

post-30666-0-74935700-1418862485_thumb.p

• 1 month later...

What are the dimensions? door size and position, etc.? Anything under cover is sweet.

Hey! Where are the pictures!? You didn't post any pics! ARGHHHH, what are kids coming to these days.

We LOVE pics you know. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm blanking on the name of the artist, "Winter" maybe? Anyway you used to see his little models on sale everywhere. They ran the gamut from cathedrals to peasant cottages and he made a LOT of Gothic style. I knew a few people who collected pieces of one style/theme or another and made towns and villages. Very detailed pieces probably averaging 6" on a side. Everything was made to the same scale and detailed to the extreme.

The one thing he was renowned for was hiding a mouse somewhere on the building and you'd see folk standing around the recent release looking for the mouse. Outstanding pieces one of the few things I kind of wished I'd collected.

About blacksmith shops, he made quite a few and they ran the gamut of architectural and regional style all fully equipped lacking only the smith: From the: simple leanto smithy to water powered forge factory. Finding a blacksmith kit in a farm building was the norm.

I hope someone here remembers the Artist's name so we can Google pics.

Frosty The Lucky

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, fired up the Buffalo today, in its temporary setting, I am setting up a new smithy in a lean to off the shed these pictures are set.  I am just making a few hoof picks as Christmas presents for some of my cowboy mates and their cards out of old  horse shoes.  About two hours, and it was a hot day, sure sweated the gravy out of me !!

Cheers 

HeelerauP1010945.thumb.jpg.1fa0d6ff29dcd4d68c2b6P1010942.thumb.jpg.78bd76cb98bb0678dc467

• 1 month later...

Ooooh, NICE shop! I'd estimate that at around 30' x 40' x 14'. A rolling door has advantages my roll up doesn't. The power pole leads me to believe electricity is right there, is it wired and did you put in LOTS of outlets? Lots of lights too, you can't have too many lights and outlets. Is it full yet?

How's it insulated and more importantly ventilated? Running ANY open fire consumes oxy and produces byproducts, CO being the most insidious and dangerous. Most coal byproducts can be smelled but produces CO2 and CO as well.

SWEET, good for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

not enough outlets thats for sure, Im going to have to add more. Only half the shop is insulated (the back half in the picture, there is also a roll up door on that side) the side that my forge is in is without insulation and I also keep a Co2 alarm right behind me at my hight, so far it has not gone off, so thats good. I also open the big doors when I need more ventilation.

Its far from being full yet (just give it a couple years lol), but the previous owner left a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of, and organize what I'm going to keep.

here is a picture of the Half without the insulation from when we where moving in (there are doors that separate each half)

inside.jpg

I won't copy the photo again but you have some great toys--which got me thinking about what you can't live without.  That's a bit hard to answer so I'll reverse it:  If you HAD to make some room, what would you live without?  Something that you thought you'd use but collects more dust than other tools?

Oh..and is that ball anvil a big steel sphere?