Alec.S

Show me your shop!

On 9/28/2018 at 11:27 AM, Laynne said:

Originally I had it on a cable and pulley to lower it when the smoke was bad.

How does it draw now? Looks like a lot of open space between the hood and fire. I had trouble early off because I had too much open area from the hood to the fire. My hood being 2/3s of a 55gal. drum, i made an insert from sheet steel to curve around the inside to close the space up. It can be slid up into the drum once the draw is strong and the fire is smoking less, if I need to. 

3 hours ago, psacustomcreations said:

I am probably going to have to adjust the arrangements a bit for a better work flow

Looks like you have the space to work on that now. May want to insulate a bit for sound as well. 

Thanks. I live on 17 acres and my nearest neighbor is 700 feet away so I am not too worried about noise. I am only in that shop during the day on weekends or my day off so I also dont make a lot of noise during odd hours.

4 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

GReat start and nice selection of tongs..  I like the vise stand and tong rack.. 

Thanks.

I have been getting very helpful advice from Vaughn of Three Rivers Forge on another forum but finally joined here.

2 minutes ago, psacustomcreations said:

I live on 17 acres and my nearest neighbor is 700 feet away so I am not too worried about noise.

The concern isn't merely about your neighbors; it's also about your hearing. A shop of that size and shape with a lot of hard surfaces can reflect a lot of noise back at you. Even if you don't add any sound-deadening material to the shop, please make sure to wear proper PPE.

Yep. I do a lot of other metal work in my other building and I usually wear ear plugs when I am in the shop. 

You can see a set of ear muffs on the forge. 

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

Psa, yeah I was meaning for your hearing sake. Good to know you got the ppe for that.

I do a lot of MIG and TIG welding, cutting, grinding, sanding, milling, lathe work and painting for my art projects. 

I am much more safety conscious now than when I was younger.  I have multiple sets of hearing protection, eye pro, half masks with P100 filters, full face shields and even full face masks with filters when I work.

I have had several pieces of metal in my eye even while wearing eye pro. Due to that, I will not do any smithing without eye pro. I have also lost enough of my hearing to not be able to afford to lose more. 

Not trying to be a know it all, but I am quite an advocate for safety measures on another forum. I also understand that occasionally I drop the ball and need to remind myself or have others remind me to put the gear on for a 10 second job.