I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

Glen, I wish I had thought of that, it would probably have stopped leaking.☺️

Das, the blue chunk of steel one step from the forge is my improvised anvil. The old Vulcan is so beat up that I just use it for heavier work.

Thanks for the input, always looking for tips.

Got the hood on this morning. Originally I had it on a cable and pulley to lower it when the smoke was bad.

IMG_20180928_103512852.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/28/2018 at 11:27 AM, Laynne said:

Originally I had it on a cable and pulley to lower it when the smoke was bad.

How does it draw now? Looks like a lot of open space between the hood and fire. I had trouble early off because I had too much open area from the hood to the fire. My hood being 2/3s of a 55gal. drum, i made an insert from sheet steel to curve around the inside to close the space up. It can be slid up into the drum once the draw is strong and the fire is smoking less, if I need to. 

3 hours ago, psacustomcreations said:

I am probably going to have to adjust the arrangements a bit for a better work flow

Looks like you have the space to work on that now. May want to insulate a bit for sound as well. 

Thanks. I live on 17 acres and my nearest neighbor is 700 feet away so I am not too worried about noise. I am only in that shop during the day on weekends or my day off so I also dont make a lot of noise during odd hours.

4 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

GReat start and nice selection of tongs..  I like the vise stand and tong rack.. 

Thanks.

I have been getting very helpful advice from Vaughn of Three Rivers Forge on another forum but finally joined here.

2 minutes ago, psacustomcreations said:

I live on 17 acres and my nearest neighbor is 700 feet away so I am not too worried about noise.

The concern isn't merely about your neighbors; it's also about your hearing. A shop of that size and shape with a lot of hard surfaces can reflect a lot of noise back at you. Even if you don't add any sound-deadening material to the shop, please make sure to wear proper PPE.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, Daswulf said:

How does it draw now? 

Daswulf, since that picture I have lowered the hood. The next thing is larger pipe. I am using 8" in an open shed so it works but could be better. I have some old 15 gallon grease drums I am going to cut the end out of one and try. They are 13 or 14 inch diameter. I will let you know how it goes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

While I've enjoyed seeing all the various smithing shops from all the folks here on the forum, Glen, I have to admit I really enjoyed the shop tour of Scott's.  He's one of my more favorite Youtube smiths, so really getting a chance to see his shop was cool.  Thanks for posting that.

• 1 month later...

Yeah. It could've been a whole lot worse. at least the chimney stayed pretty straight Haha. Crazy that my shop got knocked over, couple trees down, shingles from the house everywhere, yet my grill (which always gets knocked over in a bad storm) barely budged.

15 hours ago, bryson489 said:

Guess I'll just have to build it bigger now..

Heavier and anchored in the ground. Could've been worse, just think how you'd feel if the anvil went through the house's roof. Well, I suppose in that kind of wind it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

The open side "probably?:blink:" didn't help. 4 walls next time maybe?

Frosty The Lucky.

I must've been thinking of someone else's shop. Covered by Home Owners or declined as an act of God?

My shop is under a Farm rider and is covered for fire, storms and floods. We live on top of a ridge that's downhill almost 360* around the shop and house but we pay for flood insurance. One broken pipe in the Nov 18 quake would've paid for the last 20 years premiums. Wind we get though, seen 140 mph gusts more than once, 100 mph+ isn't common but not some kind of freak thing. 70 mph+ is just Wednesday. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah i believe they said the winds were in the 80-90 range and that's pretty uncommon around here, unless there's a tornado.... currently waiting on them to come do their assessment. Im more concerned more with the house, i prob won't get much for the shop

On 7/1/2019 at 9:42 PM, Frosty said:

My shop is under a Farm rider and is covered for fire, storms and floods. We live on top of a ridge that's downhill almost 360* around the shop and house but we pay for flood insurance. One broken pipe in the Nov 18 quake would've paid for the last 20 years premiums.

Hopefully you don't need to make a claim on that fire insurance.  Brother in Big Lake is awfully close to it.

Me either and I'm hoping your Brother's in good shape this fire season. Weather's looking to break, temp is well down, supposed to stop short of 70s today and a chance of rain later this week. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Rain always helps when it's dry.  His place is doing better.  He was about a half mile away from that little flare up the other night.  Since his house is 2nd to last on his road, they were awfully worried.  Luckily it turned out.  He was working at the time.  His father in law went over to help out, in case.

Things are looking better, rained for a while Sunday, a few light showers yesterday and the temps are down. I keep thinking about clearing the trees and scrub for maybe 100' around the house, especially the NW side, it's downhill and upwind but would remove the screen between us and the neighbors. I'd prefer NOT to be able to see into the neighbor's back windows. We're about 45' above them if they could see our windows they'd have a fine view of our ceilings.

We spend the 4th weekend in Valdez, it was hazy but not nearly as smokey as here. Sunny and mid 80's just is't Valdez weather, excellent weekend nasty smokey on the drive back though, it was worst between Thompson pass and Glenallen, visibility down to maybe 1/2 mile some places. 

Give your Brother my best.

Frosty The Lucky.