I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

beslagsmed - nice set of shoes..  All yours?  Nice shop.. 

No, there are some Michael Wildenstein, Jim Blurton, Tom Williams shoes there.  I made a bunch, I got a retired farrier who now lives in Portugal who made a bunch and started this collection.  I spent most of my Christmas vacation a few years ago cleaning them up, warming and doing the brass brush thing, then I have coated them with a clear varnish to keep them from rusting.  I liked the more "antique" look of this rather than polished like most are.

Just reorganised my forge : steel that was leaning on the walls is now lying along the walls in the what used to be the cowshed. This sort of   pushed  the walls of my silo outward. And moving the bench from the right to the left gave me more light.

P1080242.thumb.JPG.2492bf4e98ae6a1dfcf2d12bf82bb574.JPG

Here I am.

This is a chicken koop abandoned for 40 years. So the "soil" is mainly chicken droppings, and smells like it :wacko:

The fan serves several roles: Cooling us when it's hot, removing smoke from the forge (the wall to the right is open) and - when using the belt grinder, it actively sucks the air (and dust) from around it, and blows it outside the shop.

The pole is just for dancing.

shop.JPG

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

lyuv - wheres the forge?  

I think it is the stack of bricks on the workbench.

Nice sized workspace. I don't know if I could take the chicken ammonia smell... It certainly wouldn't make me feel like dancing! ;)

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

Normally,  I’d say, “Pictures, or it didn’t happen.“

In this case....

Your loss. you"ll never see how I slowly remove my apron. I get goose bumps just thinking of the things I do with those tongs when the hammer drops... 

Don't ask me now. It's too late.

18 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

lyuv - wheres the forge?  

The forge in that pile of bricks on the table. Here's a close up (and one just for the ambiance :blink:):

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Setting brainwash cycle to: powerwash---extra bleach!

I used to forge out of abandoned chicken coop too;  you can probably find my description of getting rid of the woodchucks tunneling under the floor of it using my small black powder cannon if you look for it on IFI.

Dad wouldn't let me fire my cannon at home so I had to come up with other gopher methods I don't wish to talk about. Cleaning out the ant hill though, now that was exciting! There was a BIG red at colony in  field next to us and the ants owned about half an acre, crossing it was done quickly. Well, I mixed a 1 lb. can of black powder with 3 lbs. of powdered sugar and started laying out a small pile every day. Before long there was a 4 lane ant highway packing sweet black powder into the hive.

When I was about out of powder I tossed a match on the highway. I was relieved when it didn't explode, instead it burned like a rocket engine with several vents. It blew smoke and burning ants several feet in the air for maybe 5 minutes. I only had to put out one burning bush and the field was pretty cleared off so I didn't screw up in spades like I could've.

That was that for the ant colony but I don't think it's practical, even in a vacant lot in the desert. Ants can tunnel quite a distance.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

FFF powder?

I don't recall, it was in the day a 14 yr old could buy gun powder at a good hardware  or sporting goods store and even Supermarkets carried calcium carbide.  

Frosty The Lucky.