I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

I.F.I. Denizens,

The savants at SLAG INDUSTRIES .L.L.C. have had their priorities redirected and immediately been re-assigned to analyze this sad state of affairs, chez Das. Inc.

The preliminary results are in. The finding is a serious case of obsessive compulsive disorder. Other maladies are strongly suspected.

But results concerning same will have to await receipt of analysis of extensive blood and C.S.F. (cerebral spinal fluid), work. 

Further tests may be required pending preliminary results.

Fear not we have qualified staff to conduct such work. and list of certified consultant quacks should that need arise.

Fear not Herr. Das,

only the first 60 years are difficult. After that you will not notice much to be worried about.

Others be careful fight the urge to eat off the floor. We do not want anyone to get splinters.

the SLAG.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 years, I'm on the upper side of that....You should have seen my detached 1920's garage in the inner city of Columbus OH, I was finding stuff cheap and stacking it up for when I moved to the country and perhaps took early retirement...Didn't get really bad till the city told me I had to get rid of the wrought iron from the old Ohio Penitentiary Water tower *immediately* and I was recovering from a month of pneumonia and so stacked the jagged pieces (45 pounds to 180 pounds) vertically inside one of the garage doors.  Someone broke in through that door once; but as I didn't see any blood, skin, or cloth perhaps they thought better of crossing the grater...

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Tragic lack of clutter and equipment... Looks like you can walk through it without sucking in your gut and edging round things.

It has been there before. Don't forget silly walks to get through it. 

My welding table is back there somewhere...

I was at a point to where there was a lot of stock on the floor around the forge and cut offs as well as other pieces buried and tangled in coal, dust, and scale. It needed a cleanup. Still far from where I want to be organization wise. 

It will always be my happy place. :) 

There seems to be a cycle to these things, my main shop spent half a year where my main interaction was opening the door and unloading stuff into it at random intervals. Then over the Christmas Holidays I got to spend time in it most days and a lot of "randomly unloaded" stuff got put away and re-arranged.  I get to go up this weekend and visit it and I hope to sell on some of my duplicate stuff and fund the trip to the scrapyard which hopefully won't start the cycle again...

1 hour ago, sfeile said:

I don't know if I want to come visit now Das, I'd get lost in your shop...

No worries, I'll have it cluttered back up in no time. :) 

I Always want a bigger shop but I am very thankful for what I have. You can't get lost but make sure your tetanus shot is up to date. ;) 

I think my whole shop is about 12x16. I've got an excuse for a bench, forge, anvil, 2x4 foot gang box, another tool cabinet, grinder, sander, buffer, 2 chainsaws, another truck box with tools, toaster (tempering) oven, more miscellaneous tools than I can type in the next hour...... My mower is mad at me because it got moved to under a tarp. If it's somewhat decent out tomorrow, I'll get a pic.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:07 PM, Daswulf said:

I try to keep mine at a step or two. Well, the bench is there somewhere. I know because the post vise is attached to it so it must be there. Guess that's on the list to clean off. 

A couple days late, but here is my massive shop haha. The metal bucket on the right in the first photo is actually sitting right against the leg for the workbench, so it's that close. 

DSC_0569.thumb.JPG.784cc5962f1466c71a305d5797fb2647.JPG

DSC_0570.thumb.JPG.9777925d85cb2718fa0dc638e864c6b1.JPG

DSC_0571.thumb.JPG.288dbc97b1474c967dbe6c193fdcc90c.JPG

Looks like a usable workspace. And you have a better excuse to not have to work on family and friends cars. <_<

It's all in how you organize it to be the most efficient for you. When your floor space is small go vertical with your storage. 

I still end up doing some of the car work, I just have to do it outside. I hate working on cars though, so I don't do much.

I've actually got a shelf over the workbench, a vertical cabinet on the left side and where the board is leaned up in the back there are shelves there too. And stuff hanging off the walls all over. Also a ladder and 2x4s and such stuck up in the rafters haha.

• 3 weeks later...