Alec.S

Show me your shop!

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

what are you using for a firepot? 

Side-blast JABOD. 

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Side-blast JABOD. 

Still love to see it.. Side blast works very well with anthracite coal.. Is your water cooled?  

I'm just always looking at alternatives.. While i prefer soft coal the ability to use other fuels is a major plus and a back blast offers the ability to use any of the hard fuels.... I personally have never ran a hard coal forge other than when I was a kid and had limited success with the knowledge I had at the time..  I did use a coal furnace for awhile before I moved into an oil pan coal forge filled with cement.. 

Unfortunately "stove coal" is not a specific coal; it can range all over the place from stuff that's a joy to use to stuff that will make you want to give up blacksmithing trying to use it.   You can use a "brand" for years with good results and then find that they changed the mine or the mine is in a new coal layer or ???.  Which is why we suggest you first try 1 unit and if that works really well try to get a bunch of it immediately before something changes!

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Unfortunately "stove coal" is not a specific coal; it can range all over the place from stuff that's a joy to use to stuff that will make you want to give up blacksmithing trying to use it.   You can use a "brand" for years with good results and then find that they changed the mine or the mine is in a new coal layer or ???.  Which is why we suggest you first try 1 unit and if that works really well try to get a bunch of it immediately before something changes!

Stove is the size not the type..  pea,  nut, stove.  Referring to anthracite that is...

On 6/5/2017 at 3:29 PM, Leatherneck Donald said:

This is my first post here... that forge (pan, is that the right word) is almost identical to mine.  Two questions... do you know who made it and how old it is?  Do I need to line it with clay of some sort?   If so, do I line just the rectangle part, just the bowl, or both?  Thanks!

Hi Donald, Just saw your post. No idea who made my forge pan, the firepot in it is a Centaur forge and I"m pretty sure its not original. Found it (along with the Blower and a post vise) in Northern California, covered in motor oil and left in the shed of a rental house. Owner wanted it gone.  I've never clayed the forge, the cast iron is pretty thick.  I briefly clayed a brake drum forge years ago, but didnt' find the claying to be all that useful or durable. 

And I don't believe that terminology is uniform everywhere.  If it's standard in your area, more power to you!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

And I don't believe that terminology is uniform everywhere.  If it's standard in your area, more power to you!

Sorry, must be one of those days..   It might be a regonal thing..  Here is some info I pulled off the web.  Only difference i know of is around here the smaller size under pea is rice.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_breaker

• Steam - 4.5 to 6 inches in size (primarily used as steamship fuel).
  • Broken - 3.25 to 4.5 inches in size.
  • Egg - 2.25 to 2.3 inches in size.
  • Stove - 1.5 to 1.625 inches in size (primarily used for use in home cooking stoves).
  • Chestnut - 0.875 to 0.9375 inches in size.
  • Pea - 0.5 to 0.625 inches in size. There were three subsets of "pea coal":
    • No. 1 Buckwheat - 0.25 to 0.3125 inches in size.
    • No. 2 Buckwheat - 0.1875 inches in size.
    • No. 3 Buckwheat - 0.09375 to 0.125 inches in size.

coal sizes...pdf

Yup----notice that just those 2 sources don't agree on what stove size is The PDF has 1.75" to 1.25"

On 5/8/2017 at 0:42 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Here is the complete build..  Anvil is on the ground.. 

That is a really great setup.