I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, figure out a way to put up a tarp canopy, say 12x12, over your stuff.  You have an advantage with a gas forge.  When I first started, my stuff was out in the open.  I had a tarp setup.  I burn coal therefore for obvious reasons, the forge was outside the tarp, but the anvil, post vise, work table, etc. was underneath.  Worked out great.  I made round concrete bases, about 18" in diameter, 4-5" thick with a 1" pipe about 8' long cemented in the middle.  The bases were made round so that I could roll them around if needed.  I strung the tarp corners to each pole.  The heavy weight of the concrete blocks kept it in place.  You might need some guy ropes on the corners if the tarp sags too much.

That looks pretty workable, no fancy frills just basic machine. I like it. I don't see your clutch mechanism, I looked for something on the idler pully but can't see it nor a treadle.

How do you drive that puppy?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty. Thanks  

I tried the idler pulley thing and found I didn't like it. So I figured out the pulley ratio to where it hits the most consistent and installed and foot pedal and contactor to activate it. 

10 hours ago, 58er said:

Frosty. Thanks  

I tried the idler pulley thing and found I didn't like it. So I figured out the pulley ratio to where it hits the most consistent and installed and foot pedal and contactor to activate it. 

I must be dense I still don't understand. The foot pedal in instead of a treadle. Yes? Are you starting and stopping the motor? That would mean your hammer has one speed, X BPM, period?

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, 58er said:

Yes. One speed. I found it worked this way the best. 

One speed isn't uncommon. Do you just turn the motor on and off? That isn't so good for motor life you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, 58er said:

motor is operated via foot pedal which in-turns operates the coil of a motor starter. 

How long is a motor going to last starting and stopping under a load like that? I don't know all that much about electric motors but have always heard their life span is counted in starts not hours of running. 

Is there an electrician who knows the answer who could chime in please? There are a number of things I could do if starting and stopping doesn't wear them out too quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been an industrial electrician for my entire life. As long as the duty rating and the load of a Motor are matched to its task it will be fine. 

If this motor had a continuous  duty rating and it were substantially undersized your statement may be true. But even then I have seen motors way undersized for their tasks/duty cycles last for years. 

I'll add the info to my limited knowledge base. I'm automatically skeptical of what I see, read, etc. online and seek pro opinions. ESP
ECIALLY for those, "everybody KNOWS" things, those are always suspect and "what I've heard" falls in the everybody knows category.

Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...