I Forge Iron

Dump Truck Axle

If you do some research as to actually made the axle you may be able to contact the manufacturer directly. Rear axles are made by outside companies, such as DANA, a lot of times. I would contact a MACK dealer, or a repair shop to see who the manufacturer is first, then contact them. I have found some companies very helpful when I needed odd information. Let them know that you are a hobbyist blacksmith that has a MACK tandem axle shaft, and that you would like to know what grade of steel it was made from. Matter of fact I have seen factory repair manuals that had steel specs listed in the unit specifications.

Good luck in the search, and report back what you find.

Ask PTree over at anvilfire.com; Jeff used to work for the company that made a large fraction of the axles used in the usa and is quite up on their metallurgy; I have paraphrased an earlier post he did over there as follows:

the industry standard was 1045H below 1 3/8" stock and 1541H for axles above that size for trucks The H modified steel are much more prone to quench cracking than plain 1045/1050; so quenching in oil is suggested. These steels are also prone to grain growth if held at forging temp for very long without working the steel.

4140 was used for some very large axles used in off road equipment like big front end loaders.
Such axles are not usually induction heat treated, but are furnace treated.

Back to me: However junkyard rules apply!