I Forge Iron

Help identifying maker

Well for those interested i found out it was made by the Thomas Darwin foundry listed in Sheffield England in 1787 but i am still searching to try and find out when they went out of business to try and pinpoint an age. It just goes to show that things may look older or newer but i did not think this anvil was that old.

Bob

Hey Bob,

just out of curiosity where did you find your info? I was half looking also and turned up nothing.

Chad J

Chad it was identified by a fellow on British Blades forum and he gave me this link http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t7011.html
If you look on the top listing you will find Thomas Darwin.

I don't think it's that old. First clue would be "cast steel", I don't think they were marking material in 1787 and the second clue would be the letter type of the name of the comapany, it's entirely too modern in my opinion but then again I often been wrong. However it looks more like a metal forming stake than an anvil, perhaps for forming a crease either that or really big hardy.

I don't think it's that old. First clue would be "cast steel", I don't think they were marking material in 1787 and the second clue would be the letter type of the name of the comapany, it's entirely too modern in my opinion but then again I often been wrong. However it looks more like a metal forming stake than an anvil, perhaps for forming a crease either that or really big hardy.

So in other words you do not know and are just guessing
Benjamin Huntsman invented the cast-steel process in 1770.

Bob

Which sets an earlier date; but does not address when they started using that stamp. If I get a chance I'll look into "Steelmaking before Bessemer, Vol II Crucible Steel" to see if they mention when they started stamping cast steel.

(after all England goes way back but Anvils stamped England date much more recently...)

Which sets an earlier date; but does not address when they started using that stamp. If I get a chance I'll look into "Steelmaking before Bessemer, Vol II Crucible Steel" to see if they mention when they started stamping cast steel.

(after all England goes way back but Anvils stamped England date much more recently...)

Thanks Thomas i look forward to seeing what your book has in it about stamping.
I think any thing after 1891 had to be stamped England.

Bob

Yup, I was guessing based on my big round stake about the same size that has "cast steel" and "Birmingham" in a similar looking style of letters around the top. It also has a date of "1879" and the initial of "P.H." pecked into the side with a center punch. It may be older than that but has pretty much the same shape of base and pin. No manufacturers name appears on mine that I have found. It's pretty much pitted to death on the one side like it layed in dirt for a long while.

Yup, I was guessing based on my big round stake about the same size that has "cast steel" and "Birmingham" in a similar looking style of letters around the top. It also has a date of "1879" and the initial of "P.H." pecked into the side with a center punch. It may be older than that but has pretty much the same shape of base and pin. No manufacturers name appears on mine that I have found. It's pretty much pitted to death on the one side like it layed in dirt for a long while.

Thanks for your input i am still searching trying to find out when they started to stamp but there seems to be very little info. The last entry i could find in the Sheffield directories for Thomas Darwin was 1822 but again that does not mean a thing.

Bob

Edted to add this link with a post in this thread about cast steel.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?96327-Help-with-old-post-anvil