I Forge Iron

Man looses 'dream shop' to fire

My daughter, an arson investigator, called about a recent fire. A man had finally built his 'dream shop', a two story affair attached to his home and had just gotten his occupancy permit when it caught fire and burned up a life-time collection of tools and equipment. Origin cause determination was welding sparks. Seems he caught a rag on fire while welding, stomped it out and then threw it next to the wall and left the shop. Problem was, the rag wasn't out and the wall,insulated with fiberglass, was NOT covered with sheet rock. The rag flamed up, caught the kraft paper with asphalt backing on fire and destroyed all his equipment and the addition. Fortunately fire fighters contained the blaze to the shop area. Cori said the man was crying uncontrollably. When we built our new shop this summer, we installed fire sprinklers for $200 in materials. I also used 5/8" fire rated sheetrock and moved most all flammables to a vented metal cabinet outside. I also covered the wall behind the welding table with sheet metal to reflect sparks and cherries. Wanted to share that story so that we might all give our 'shops' a hard look towards fire prevention an hopefully learn from others' mistakes.......

My daughter, an arson investigator, called about a recent fire. A man had finally built his 'dream shop', a two story affair attached to his home and had just gotten his occupancy permit when it caught fire and burned up a life-time collection of tools and equipment. Origin cause determination was welding sparks. Seems he caught a rag on fire while welding, stomped it out and then threw it next to the wall and left the shop. Problem was, the rag wasn't out and the wall,insulated with fiberglass, was NOT covered with sheet rock. The rag flamed up, caught the kraft paper with asphalt backing on fire and destroyed all his equipment and the addition. Fortunately fire fighters contained the blaze to the shop area. Cori said the man was crying uncontrollably. When we built our new shop this summer, we installed fire sprinklers for $200 in materials. I also used 5/8" fire rated sheetrock and moved most all flammables to a vented metal cabinet outside. I also covered the wall behind the welding table with sheet metal to reflect sparks and cherries. Wanted to share that story so that we might all give our 'shops' a hard look towards fire prevention an hopefully learn from others' mistakes.......

Im in the process of a shop myself, wood framed too. Thanks for shareing, wish I could help the guy.

That is not an uncommon thing really, you should never leave the shop right after welding or making sparks, I always wait atleast 15 minutes.
I have never really started a fire but I did one time, while grinding with a 4" grinder, set off a whole pile of firecrackers, the sparks set them off, scared the living daylights out of too, threw my grinder and ran, it took me a couple minutes to figure out what happend...and get my heart back to a normal rate.
I still think about it every time I pick up my grinder.

welder19

That is not an uncommon thing really, you should never leave the shop right after welding or making sparks, I always wait atleast 15 minutes.
I have never really started a fire but I did one time, while grinding with a 4" grinder, set off a whole pile of firecrackers, the sparks set them off, scared the living daylights out of too, threw my grinder and ran, it took me a couple minutes to figure out what happend...and get my heart back to a normal rate.
I still think about it every time I pick up my grinder.

welder19

I have set numerous things smoldering or on fire by grinding or welding. I have set my clothes smoldering to the point of detection by feeling the heat on my leg and thigh. I have been grinding on a workbench to turn and see a rag engulfed in flames many times.
I can easily see how this could happen.

Keith, can you post any of the specifics for you sprinkler system. I have a wood framed shop that I will be finishing out in the next month or so. I have done a little research into fire suppression but was not planning a sprinkler. If I could put one in for a couple hundred I will consider it. How is the system triggered? If it is triggered buy smoke or heat do you disarm it when you are working in the shop and rearm when you leave? Is the water supply a municipal/well or holding tank?

kubiack, I use to install fire systems in residential houses, we sized the systems for 2 heads activated ( they are heat activated, melt link) so you would need to know the flow of the head and size the pipe acordingly. Plan on a 144 sq ft per head (12'X12'). The local fire dept. may be able to help you with planing. If you are going to the cost a few buck for a drawing by an engineer is worth it. Just my 2 cents ,Loren

Is there any worry about a heat link being melted by any of the hot operations in a forge/welding shop?

My main concern is the potential for a head to fail while I was out of town and all of the water in the system be it in a tank or the municipal supply running until someone came back and found it. My thinking was putting up firerock and following safe fire practices would be a better solution. I would like to hear others opinions as to which of the two are better.

http://www.projo.com/extra/2003/stationfire/pdf/sprinkler.pdf

Sprinklers don't turn to on till about 155F and heads cost as little as $5 each. "typical" systems only heads that are subject to temperature are activated, but require replacement after activation. Other temperatures are available.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Fire-Sprinkler-Heads-Hangers-10065000?gclid=CNW_nr_an58CFc5L5QodPg9ZJA

http://www.swiftfireprotection.com/Catalog/Viking_Fire_Sprinkler_Heads/viking_fire_sprinkler_heads.html

You can install a flow sensor or switch on the feed line and have that connected to your alarm system, alerting authorities in case of an incident. Sprinklers and alarm systems also benefit your insurance rates.

Phil

Kubiak, I'll have to defer to Phil and lostunderhood on specs simply because my daughter-in-law got me 4 heads about three years ago when she work for a sprinkler company. The real cost came this summer when I had to buy the special orange pvc pipe and fittings used in residential applications. Beyond spacing them equally, no science involved on this end...

Be careful to talk to someone about your local laws regarding sprinklers before installing anything. I talked to my neighbour who installs them about putting a simple sprinkler system in my shop. He advised against it because around here if you have any sprinklers the system has to be up to code and the code says you have to have a large (maybe dedicated) water service for the sprinkler system. I would have to have had a larger service run to the main out on the street.
If you have a home shop you can probably get away with it, but something you think may help your case with the fire inspector may cause a huge problem. He mentioned once you install a sprinkler system they won't let you rip it out, so if you install it not up to code you could be into a huge expense to bring it up to code.

JNewman has a good point. If an substandard system is installed, you may put yourself into a serious situation legal situation.

Happily in some areas local code is online so getting the basic information is relatively easy. If the code isn't completely clear to you, consulting may cost less than "repairs" to a less than code system. National fire code covers sprinklers and provides guidelines for installation, but local code may be more stringent. National code seems to be available as purchase online only, but may be available at your local library.

Phil