I Forge Iron

Anyone have a Plasmacam or other CNC plasma table

monstermetal

we have a different brand machine don't know if i wood recommend it had my share of problems with it their are lot of people who like the pcam machine i did not like what i saw but lots do .be ready to spend a lot of time learning all the do and don't with their software.most ove thees entry level machine leave a little to be desired as compared to an industrial machine

Look around on the used market/auctions. I picked up a Koike Aronson unit with a 5'x10' table for $2,700 at an auction that was $27,000 new. It had been used for 1.5 years then stored away by the company. I have yet to get it set up, as my new home doesn't have so much as a car port, let alone a shop, or garage. Should e plenty of machines out there with allof the shops that have closed. The company I work for let the banks have half of the Tornos screw machines that we had during the restructuring. The banks sold some for as little as $40K, new they are $230,000.

I started with the cheapest kit TORCHMATE makes about 9 years ago.It worked.I upgraded a couple of years ago to a DYNATORCH system with servo motors.
I am very pleased with the improvement and the folks answer the phone and have been very helpful.I would use DYNATORCH again if I were to upgrade.

Jeff Wester down in Sisters has a CNC plasma setup, don't think it's PlasmaCam though.

I think it is Grant.. I wouldn't swear to it but but I was kind of surprised to see it in his shop figuring he would be using something less hobbyish

He did a lot of great stuff on his machine, what ever it is...

I started with the cheapest kit TORCHMATE makes about 9 years ago.It worked.I upgraded a couple of years ago to a DYNATORCH system with servo motors.
I am very pleased with the improvement and the folks answer the phone and have been very helpful.I would use DYNATORCH again if I were to upgrade.

There is another local shop I know who has a Dynatorch and had really good things to say, its about double the money of a new Plasmacam set up....

Normally I would not consider buying new anything but computer and plasma are both things that are much better now than even a few years ago... and it seems to me its a big risk to buy an older machine... especially since I have no real experience or know how.. Course Plain Ol Bill build himself one from scratch so....

If I was going to buy an older machine I think I would try and find an optical Oxy/fuel set up... I think at this point I could do much better at drawing a scale pattern than I could programing a computer in cad.... I have yet to figure out sketchup... I know I can figure it out if I invest enough time... but its going to be a struggle for a bit...

Anyone know anything about Coraldraw?

I use CORELDRAW to generate my drawings.I have 7 and 13 versions and the simpler 7 seems to work best for me. For exact CAD type stuff it isn't as precise as some programs but I haven't taken the time to learn the process of a CAD program. Corel lets me get a basic shape on board and then I can manipulate and add individual control points.It works great for art type work. If you plan using your machine for machine parts and designing mechanical parts I would recommend learning a CAD type program.

Shameless plug here:

http://www.akscutting.com/
My brother works for these people as an electronics technician/installer/on site trainer. When you buy one of these you get my brother or his boss for several days too. I know that he replaces a fair number of lesser machines because they are not capable. These also have a plasma marking process that leaves engraved layout or numbering markings on the plate.

I can't tell you much more, but I have a few sample pieces such as a Tinkerbell wall art. There is a section less than 1/8 inch wide on it, and it is out of 1/8 inch stainless steel (what the customer wanted a sample in ).

Phil

Shameless plug here:

http://www.akscutting.com/
My brother works for these people as an electronics technician/installer/on site trainer. When you buy one of these you get my brother or his boss for several days too. I know that he replaces a fair number of lesser machines because they are not capable. These also have a plasma marking process that leaves engraved layout or numbering markings on the plate.

I can't tell you much more, but I have a few sample pieces such as a Tinkerbell wall art. There is a section less than 1/8 inch wide on it, and it is out of 1/8 inch stainless steel (what the customer wanted a sample in ).

Phil

Those look great... but way out of my league.... Have any idea what the entry level machine cost?

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my brother today,

***he is not a salesperson nor authorized to prepare a quote***

A new entry level kit, complete, installed, with training, in a building already capable of accepting the unit you are talking about $100K.

If you just want the robotics and provide your own plasma it can cost a little less.

USED machines are selling for $20K and up, and remain on the market typically less than 48 hours according to his office. They offer installation, setup, repair and training 'a la cart' for those machines.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I had a plasma cam machine. I didn't care for the hardware, but the software is top notch. Easy to use and intuitive. I now have a flash cut controller on a homebuilt cnc cutting table. The flash cut controller is what Torch mate uses. I miss the plasma cam software, but the home built table is fantastic. I would recommend the plasma cam unit for someone with no cnc experience.

I guess there are different opions on the plasma cam software. I have 3 friends with the machine and they are all happy with it. There biggest complant is the software. I am some what technolgy challenged my self but am learning more every day. From what I understand the Plasma Cam software is a drawing type software. I personaly experienced this problem myself when he burnt a piece for me. What normaly would have taken him 15 min. to program took 45 because he had a problem estabishing a cut path and he has had the machine for 3 years. He says that this happens sometimes and is frustrating.

If you were to create a drawing on there software and down load it to a PDF and take it to someone to cut out because you don't have the cut capacity or want it cut out on a laser it would not be compadable because it is not a cad type program. If I am wrong here please someone correct me.

I recently purchased a Torchmate 2X2. I like the size of it. The majority of the parts I have been associated with would fit in a two foot cut area and I can always move the machine over on the sheet to cut more. I am not going to be cutting production parts. I hope to recieve it mid Feb. or towards the end of the month. I puchased it on the recommendation from my steel supplier and there experience with there machinery. There technical service after the sale is excellent. They have the ability to help you over the internet by taking over your computor and fixing your programing problems. You can also have them write you a complicated program and get it them same way. I hope this helps.

I've been seriously considering getting that torchmate 'diy kit' as an entry level plasma table. I almost never have to sub-out any cutting for high precision fitup, so super accuracy isnt an issue for me. It would just be nice to build bracketry and such with a more finished, proffesional look. that torchmate 2x2 looks very interesting as well. I like that it would be portable, and I could put it somewhere safe if I needed the extra room. I dont think the 2x2 would save any time tho, especially if it takes me half an hour to figure the cad software lol. Let us know how you like the 2x2 HWHII. I'm very curious.

I guess there are different opions on the plasma cam software. I have 3 friends with the machine and they are all happy with it. There biggest complant is the software. I am some what technolgy challenged my self but am learning more every day. From what I understand the Plasma Cam software is a drawing type software. I personaly experienced this problem myself when he burnt a piece for me. What normaly would have taken him 15 min. to program took 45 because he had a problem estabishing a cut path and he has had the machine for 3 years. He says that this happens sometimes and is frustrating.

If you were to create a drawing on there software and down load it to a PDF and take it to someone to cut out because you don't have the cut capacity or want it cut out on a laser it would not be compadable because it is not a cad type program. If I am wrong here please someone correct me.

I recently purchased a Torchmate 2X2. I like the size of it. The majority of the parts I have been associated with would fit in a two foot cut area and I can always move the machine over on the sheet to cut more. I am not going to be cutting production parts. I hope to recieve it mid Feb. or towards the end of the month. I puchased it on the recommendation from my steel supplier and there experience with there machinery. There technical service after the sale is excellent. They have the ability to help you over the internet by taking over your computor and fixing your programing problems. You can also have them write you a complicated program and get it them same way. I hope this helps.

to create a cut path click on the object and drag and drop "convert to cut path" or control P very simple.

programs/drawings on plasma cam can be exported very easily into an Autocad .DXF file wich most other machine software can import.

to create a cut path click on the object and drag and drop "convert to cut path" or control P very simple.

programs/drawings on plasma cam can be exported very easily into an Autocad .DXF file wich most other machine software can import.

"control p" was a mistake. Just select the object and press "p"

I would be happy to answer any questions your friend might have. let me know....

Good Morning All

I found this discussion at Artmetal.com while looking for a video arftist recommended in another IFI thread. May fan the flames a bit. -grant

http://www.artmetal.com/blog/studio23/2007/07/cnc_plasmacutter_torchmate_vs_plasma_cam

I am considering buying a Plasmacam system, Have been for years and think its about time..

Anyone have any experience or own one... or a competing machine?

Monstermetal, Your welcome to come to my shop and check out my machine. I still have a copy of the plasma cam software I use, you can check that out too.

I have read the post on the link given and agree with most of the responses. Everyone has different expectations and experience to draw on.

Do you want Industrial quality, ease of use. The big factor is what is your budget and experience.

Checking machines out in person is the best way to decide what is right for you.

Contact me via private msg if you want to come to Albany, Oregon and check out my setup.