I Forge Iron

Handles..

Michael

I recently came into possession of about a dozen set tools, hotsets, several punches, set hammer, fuller and swages and had excitedly mentioned in passing to my 10 yr old that I'll have to start looking for a bunch of hammer handles at the flea market to be able to use all these tools at the forge.

Well, this wonderful little girl drags her mother to the hardware store, buys a half dozen hammer handles. Then, secretly in the front yard (the backyard is pretty much all mine), behind the garbage cans, paints and decorates them all and wraps them for under the tree.

I couldn't be more proud of my little darling, and it's nice to see that ONE of the women folk in the house is listening when I talk.

post-182-12628114052958_thumb.jpg

I recently came into possession of about a dozen set tools, hotsets, several punches, set hammer, fuller and swages and had excitedly mentioned in passing to my 10 yr old that I'll have to start looking for a bunch of hammer handles at the flea market to be able to use all these tools at the forge.

Well, this wonderful little girl drags her mother to the hardware store, buys a half dozen hammer handles. Then, secretly in the front yard (the backyard is pretty much all mine), behind the garbage cans, paints and decorates them all and wraps them for under the tree.

I couldn't be more proud of my little darling, and it's nice to see that ONE of the women folk in the house is listening when I talk.

That's awesome!

Sounds like she won't be a hard one to get rid of when you find the right man for her :P ... tough to find a woman like that nowadays!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. She is a gem, that's for sure. There was a coat of spray poly on all those handles. Save one that I'll put on my main hammer (great idea, dablacksmith), I was going to handle up the punches and set hammer, which see less use, to preserve the work. A good coat of Boiled Linseed Oil might work after some testing to make sure it won't mess anything up.

Woodburner is a fine idea. Perhaps after a little use I can sell her on "enhancing" and "preserving" her work.

again, thanks for the looking.

Michael

Micheal,
Use them some but not enough to hurt them.
When she ask why your not using them all the time just tell someday she will understand.
They are definitely a priceless treasure.
Someday she will be very thankful you didn't wear them out.
I'm sure you already know this!
Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.

Billy