I Forge Iron

help with step vise value?

So I found this locally and am having trouble determining if it is worth the asking price. I know just like anything it is worth what someone will pay for it, I am just trying to determine what I would pay for it . I have tried looking on ebay ect for similar items and havn't had any luck. also any info on the Mfg would be of interest too.
on to the pics thanks

post-7215-1987_thumb.jpg

Thats a tough one..... I would say in this case that worth could depend a large part on need. If you have a job that it would make easier or more profitable it could be worth alot. As far as a tool though in this neck of the woods I would expect it to fetch $150-$250..... That being said things are more money on the west coast... Anvils, vises and just about every other old tool brings better money here.

So I found this locally and am having trouble determining if it is worth the asking price... I have tried looking on ebay ect for similar items and havn't had any luck. ...

On EBay what looks to me like the same vise, a GREEN RIVER No 3 (the name label as shown on the one in your photograph), has an asking price of $550. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420099048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT I have seen step vises go for from $300 to more than $600 around here.

I cant be much help as Here in Minnesota they are very rare.
I have been to several hundred auctins in my life and only saw a few.
One thing to look for is if the upsetting stop is with it.
This is a height adjustable block holds the rod to upset the end for when making a bolt or something similar

Just my 2 cents. Here in the carolina mtns they avg $350-500 I have a heavy one my friend has a light one.
Great for twists. Heavy ones can/will bite, Went to move mine (heavy) Grabbed the jaws,They slammed shut. OUCH
2 stomps will reduce 11ga alum to about 18ga cold. Will reduce your palms the same. Love mine.
Ken

...Heavy ones can/will bite, Went to move mine (heavy) Grabbed the jaws,They slammed shut. OUCH
2 stomps will reduce 11ga alum to about 18ga cold. Will reduce your palms the same...

I was talking to someone in my shop one day while leaning on the foot vise and nonchalantly put my foot on the treadle. Crushed my wedding ring into my finger pretty good. It was probably quite humerous watching me try to hammer it back out on the anvil while holding my other fingers out of the way so I could get the ring off my finger. That's about the time I gave up on wearing it... I have two of the Green River #3's. They are great for demonstrations and portability around the shop. I usually find them for $100-200 here in Maine. Mine do mot have upsetting blocks but do have caulking blocks in two different sizes. I like that header that's on the one you posted. Much more handy than the caulking blocks for the work that I do.