I Forge Iron

Where can I get a piece of the Titanic hull to make a blade?

overmodulated

Many years ago I used to have a business recycling R-12 from cars that had been in a collision. Anyway one of the owners of a business that I went to had what looked like a hocky puck that was made out of solid steel, it was a paper weight on his desk. One day I picked it up and asked him "what is this?" He went on to tell me that he was a helecopter mechanic in a former life and that he was on site of the Exon Veldez wreck, he said that it was a plug that had been drilled out at the end of a crack in the hull (or some related part) to stop it from cracking any more prior to welding in an effort to minimize damage!
This is the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. That would have been a cool piece of material to make a knife out of!
Joe

Unfortunately most structural alloys don't make good knives unless you add them into a pattern welded billet.

I do have some Polaris missile sub hull alloy from a university scrap pile.

I've welded up some maille into a billet.

I've made my own iron from ore

and I've been promised the Ti knee from a friend

You used to be able to go up to "the Black Hole" at Los Alamos and buy scrap from the US atomic bomb project---I have a small blower marked AEC on it from there...(they had a lovely tungsten collimator one time)

Thomas

Unfortunately most structural alloys don't make good knives unless you add them into a pattern welded billet.

I do have some Polaris missile sub hull alloy from a university scrap pile.

I've welded up some maille into a billet.

I've made my own iron from ore

and I've been promised the Ti knee from a friend

You used to be able to go up to "the Black Hole" at Los Alamos and buy scrap from the US atomic bomb project---I have a small blower marked AEC on it from there...(they had a lovely tungsten collimator one time)

Thomas

Speaking of Ti. how about some pictures of what you made of the Ti I gave you last year.:) I would enjoy seeing what you did to it. I also gave some of the same stuff to Robb Gunter. Gonna have to hit him up for some pictures too.

It may not be the Titanic but if you`ve ever been thru Wiscassett Maine back a few years ago then you probably remember seeing the 2 shipwrecks that used to be right up by RT 1.
Those wrecks were the Hesper and the Luther Little and were abandoned there long ago(when there was a dock there and not just pilings).
The town decided to dredge up what was left of the wrecks and place all the timber on town land near the transfer station.It sat there for anyone to pick over for 2 years(I have both oak and yellow pine timbers from it) and then the town burned what was left.
Long story short,I have several buckets of wrought iron decking and frame nails(1/2 and 3/4 diameter)that I would be willing to share with anyone interested enough to pay postage on a small flat rate box.They should make great historic stock for small projects or blade fittings.
Who knows,if I don`t use the wrought chainplates and anchor swivel soon I may be willing to trade those off too.

was just wondering. sorry, but it made you look! it just seems like it would make the ultimate conversation piece.

has anyone fabricated a blade from something exotic they'd like to mention?

Not made a blade, but had a guy want an item made from a meteorite he had obtained, allegedly from Jupiter (No source stamping marks on it, but seemed genuine)

The guy was into Egyptology and wanted a tool similar to what they used when preparing the Pharoe's body for mummification. I made that and with the remainder, forged a neck pendant for his daughter who videod me forging it, this video turned up on the BBC site under [google in] "Forging the Bear" the tool's shape being the same as the shape of the Big Dipper or Ursa Major (The Great Bear)

That was a few years ago now, but he has implied he would like me to make some "Damascus" from a number of different meteorites, so I may get the chance to see how they work for a blade, I may even come out of retirement for that one!

Not made a blade, but had a guy want an item made from a meteorite he had obtained, allegedly from Jupiter (No source stamping marks on it, but seemed genuine)

The guy was into Egyptology and wanted a tool similar to what they used when preparing the Pharoe's body for mummification. I made that and with the remainder, forged a neck pendant for his daughter who videod me forging it, this video turned up on the BBC site under [google in] "Forging the Bear" the tool's shape being the same as the shape of the Big Dipper or Ursa Major (The Great Bear)

That was a few years ago now, but he has implied he would like me to make some "Damascus" from a number of different meteorites, so I may get the chance to see how they work for a blade, I may even come out of retirement for that one!

That has got to be the coolest thing I have ever heard! A space knife!!!

Sometimes if you keep a sharp eye you can find wrought iron at flea markets and "antique malls". A couple of weeks ago, for example, I found a box of wrought iron pintels of the type suitable for large barn hinges for $10 and a couple of weeks earlier I found a good-sized wrought iron bridge-type pin for $1. I don't find near as much stuff as I used to, but once in a while I find something of interest to a blacksmith. To the dealers its an antique, to me it is a source of wrought iron. :)