I Forge Iron

Big ol' tongs

Stash

Yeah, that all makes sense.Thanks for the info, guys. DW picked 'em up on ebay, they were advertised as blacksmith tongs, so she gottem for me. They're still neat pieces. Maybe I'll turn them into lawn art- they have a real dinosaur or snapping turtle vibe to them.

Sure hate to get my fingers pinched if they slipped while used as intended.

Steve

Edit to ask- the pix I posted are mongous. What's the trick to get them down to a reasonable size? If I can't fix it with a hammer, I'm usually out of my element, so please answer with little words.

The DW and I have a pact: we don't buy things for the other WRT our hobbies without consultation first.

Saves a lot of pain seeing your disposable hobby budget spent on something you cannot ever use; but having to tell them that they did good anyway.

At least they were not the bunion stretchers I keep seeing advertised as blacksmithing tongs!

Here's a small set that I modified just a bit to use to hold onto chain links while forging them. They don't work too bad for that. But I have since started using a different pair of tongs that are more on the order of pick up type tongs.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=26010

I've been thinking on modifications, but the size of those varmints- I could turn them into a pintle hook for my big truck. My wife has a tendency to buy stuff for me- gardening tools or plants, woodworking stuff, and now BS stuff, not really knowing my needs, but darnit- I still love her.

Steve

I've been thinking on modifications, but the size of those varmints- I could turn them into a pintle hook for my big truck. My wife has a tendency to buy stuff for me- gardening tools or plants, woodworking stuff, and now BS stuff, not really knowing my needs, but darnit- I still love her.

Steve

Hey, if nothing else it's good steel to make into something completely different.

• 1 month later...

I always wondered what they were. I got a pair of them with some other tongs at an auction. Was helping a buddy build a deck with some really twisted lumber, went home got the "pipe tongs", cut them off so they would fit between the joists and made real easy work out of it. Can't believe I used them for the wrong purpose!

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered what those were. I got a couple of them cause--I am not a tool junkie though-- they were there. The two I got are adjustable. I showed them to another tool collector and he had never seen them. He has been a water engineer for about 50 yrs and didn't know they were pipe wrenches. Thank you for the identification.

post-1327-12690217241946_thumb.jpg