I Forge Iron

A little something in L-6

roosko

Here is a small hunter style that I forged from L-6. The handle has a bit of palm swell.

Handle Material - Bubinga
Nickel-Silver Guard
OAL 8 1/2"
Blade Tip to Guard 4 1/8"
My attempt at a sheath

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Robert

L6-1.jpg

L6-1Sheath.jpg

683.attach

684.attach

That's a very nice looking knife, and sheath. Simple, and clean. How do you like the bubinga? And what do you finish it with? I have been using several coats of tung oil on my handles, sanding with 0000 steel wool in between coats. I have not tried any stamping work on my sheaths, as I still make simple, usable sheaths. Once I start taking something out in the woods deer hunting, it don't remain pretty very long!

Thanks for you comments guys.

Bob H., This Bubinga was from a piece given to me by Charlie and Harry Matthews (Twin Blades). It is a pretty dense, but oily wood that looks great when finished. Problem is that if you even point it toward a belt sander, it burns.:D

Sheath work is one of my least favorite activities. I usually do some kind of decorative tooling on my sheaths only because of the "Wow" effect. Some customers request it, and others just simply say "Wow" when they see it. To me it adds nothing to the functionality of the sheath.

Tyler, I see L-6 used quite a bit in damascus, but for some reason not many seem to use it as a stand alone blade steel. I forges fairly easily and seems to hold an edge well.

Robert

• 3 years later...