I Forge Iron

Respiratory Protection - Your thoughts?

Safety appears to be somewhat of a hot subject in workplaces both side of the pond, especially in the environment such as the forge or workshop where hazards are abundant and 'common sense' needs to prevail. However I'm particularly interested in what form of Respiratory Protection Equipment you use, if any? I'm sure those who use LPG forges don't really have much of a problem in this department, however those using solid fuel forges may have a stronger view on the subject.

From personal experience I tend to use a small disposable face mask whilst working with my bottom blast coke-fuelled forge, even though I'm in a sheltered corner of my back yard. I'd be especially interested to see if I'm in the minority when it comes to wearing RPE.

I have a gas forge, and have it setup so that the exhaust is blown outside. However, whenever I am doing anything besides forging which usually involves grinding or sanding of some sort whether it be a knife or a handle for a knife, I wear an air filter. It has exchangeable filters that are good for so long, as well as ones that are built into it that take chemicals out of the air. It only works as long as YOU use it. It mainly just keeps dust and grit out of me.

I use a HEPA filter equipped half mask respirator when grinding, welding, sanding, or useing the powered wire wheel to brush stuff. A HEPA filter is rated for weld fume, radionuclides and asbestos, so is the tightest rated particulate filter one can obtain. I use a Half face, silicone rubber respirator, and the filters are of the pancake style so as to allow ease of fit under a tight weld hood. I also use hearing protection ear muffs, of the low profile type to also fit under the hood. They are welcome in the winter as they also keep my ears warm:)

A while back the Anvils Ring had an article on gas forges and particulates in the air. If you use a gas forge you really should use an HEPA mask. The fibers from the insulation do get blown around the shop and that fiber refractory blanket is pretty unhealthy stuff to breathe. I recently put an air filter in the shop also-its one of those ceiling mounted jobbies-not big enough, but after 2 days the white filter was black. I run a coal forge and a propane forge. I have been attempting to make my shop a healthier place to work. I was really surprised to see how fast that air filter plugged up. Makes me think about all the extra dust I have been sucking up for the past 5 years. I always wear a filter when grinding,welding,cutting etc. I bought one of those masks with the tubes that hang down my back-fits under the welding mask comfortably-pricey but my health is worth it.
Mark Emig

• 2 weeks later...

forging with coal forge... nothing.. I work outside and upwind of my forge... grinding and wire brushing a OrGanic vapors respirator (also rated for fine particulate), 1/2 face, w/ face shield while brushing, gloves for a lot of things, safety glasses always!! earplugs as necessary....