Sign in to follow this  
mrkiddi

using normal wood

10 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Should I tell people that I forge with coke instead of coal, because I'm converting it to coke as I go along?

If you were in Miami Florida and said that the police would be knocking on your door, looking for your stash of coke.:D

I pertty much explain the process to visitors concerning coal to coke aka breeze vs other solid fuels available.

Never tried wood. I used to buy hardwood blocks, about 4" x 1"x1" for fire starters  and never thought  to try them in the forge as fuel source.  I may have to look for any leftover stash and try it.

When I use my Whitlock forge I make sure I have a pile of wood ready.  I have a hairdryer hooked up to mine and it burns like no tomorrow.  It gets my metal glowing red.  I built a coal forge but it was to deep and not wide so it ruined my tips (glowing bright yellow with air burning around it)  If you have free wood its the cheapest way to go.  Takes a little longer, but for a hobby knife maker its fun.

Were you putting your tips down in the fire instead of horizontally up in the reducing zone?