I Forge Iron

Wife and I banged in the New Year

I asked my loving wife fo 17+ years if she would like to try blacksmithing. She said that she has been waiting for me to ask. :lol:

As my gas forge is sorta tubular with openings at both ends, we were both able to work at the same time. I had her work on my smaller ASO (75-lb block of hardened & tempered D2 6x9x9) and we shared the slack tub.

I taught her basic tapering, drawing, bending, scrolling, ribbon tapers, scale removal, brass patination and protecting with wax. With only a little help from me (very little, really) she finished this little drive hook.

post-734-12623579366162_thumb.jpg

That is great, she did a wonderful job on that drive hook. I guess now she is hooked on blacksmithing!

Please add your location to your profile so people can tailor conversation to your location.

You can place your location in the "Location" in the "Other Information" section of the forums "Profile". An example can be seen under my Avatar. :D

How to put a location under your Avatar

Step 1. Click on your name on the upper right hand corner of this screen for example Bob would click on “Mainely.Bob”.
Step 2. Scroll down and Click on "My Profile"
Step 3. Chick on “Edit My Profile” button near the upper right corner of the screen.
Step 4. Scroll down in the next screen to “Other Information” heading on the screen.
Step 5. In the “Location ” box, type your location into this box.
Step 6. Scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on the box that says, “Save Changes”.

I hope this helps. If not let me know where I may need to elaborate.

I will have to update my user info. Thanks Unicorn! I guess it didn't transfer with the new website. My wife just realized the inuendo in my post topic and started beating me up :lol::lol:

She IS actually interested in doing some more 'smithing too. :D

Happy New Year,
Paul

oh, and btw, we DO have 9 (nine) wonderful children! B)

• 3 weeks later...

You and your wife "banged in the New Year"? Wasn't sure I wanted to hear about it.

That got my attention too! My speech therapist will be happy to hear My damaged executive function (a cognitive function that tells you what is and isn't a good idea to say or do.) worked well enough I didn't make any wisecracks in spite of one of the BEST straight lines I've read recently.

My wife has taken up fold forming and repousse rather than smithing but who knows what's next eh?

Frosty the Lucky

That got my attention too! My speech therapist will be happy to hear My damaged executive function (a cognitive function that tells you what is and isn't a good idea to say or do.) worked well enough I didn't make any wisecracks in spite of one of the BEST straight lines I've read recently.

My wife has taken up fold forming and repousse rather than smithing but who knows what's next eh?

Frosty the Lucky

Hi Frosty, great to have you back, Ain't repousse part of smithing then?, Its something you can do in front of the kitchen stove on those long winter evenings, with the occasional visit to the forge for the old annealling bit, just don't fallout over who is using the punches if you are both working on pieces at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frosty, great to have you back, Ain't repousse part of smithing then?, Its something you can do in front of the kitchen stove on those long winter evenings, with the occasional visit to the forge for the old annealling bit, just don't fallout over who is using the punches if you are both working on pieces at the same time.

Well, it might've been part of smithing if Deb hadn't gotten all the repousse chisels. <sigh> Actually our kitchen range top has plenty of firepower to anneal things. Or we could just toss the stuff in the wood stove and let the Great White . . . Birch anneal it.

Thanks John, it's really good to be getting back in action. This coming saturday will be my first club meeting in a long while. Fire, hammers, guys beating the crap out of steel. WooHoo, sounds like a slice of heaven to me.

Frosty the Lucky.