I Forge Iron

Best bathroom finish

I am going to make a couple of things for the wife to go in the bathroom. One thing will be a towel rack. I do not have any experiance in finishes. I read about finishes for damp environments, but they related to outside. This is a small bathroom and everything sweats when taking a shower. She wants a dark brown or black finish. I could just clear coat with something. Ok to the question:

Do I need to worry about rust? What finish will not rub off with towels rubbing over the bar? Will a clear coat wear off?

I know I could just paint them, but I was wondering if I could do something better?

Thanks.

Clear satin urethane works well - I made a towel rack about ten years ago for our bathroom that was sandblasted, followed by wire brushing to provide some shine then coated with urethane. It has neither rubbed off or started rusting.

You could paint it flat back and clear coat with urethane (or acrylic lacquer), or "heat blue" w/CC, or wire brush w/CC, etc.

For small parts I like to use Krylon gloss acrylic. It is the one that does not have a ball bearing in it when you shake it. There are other brands that also do not have a ball bearing in it and they work just as well. I have been told the reason for not have a ball bearing in it is because there is only one ingredient in it and there is nothing else to mix. I apply it when the part is warm to the point it is hard to hold on to. Apply three coats as it cools. For larger parts I use Permalac from Scuplt Nuvo in the one gallion can. I load it into a gravity fed spray gun and just start shooting.

HH

I have wondered about this myself... Bathroom finishes etc. applied over towel bars and the like.
Hanging a damp towel on a piece of steel or copper with a clear finish, sounds like you guys have found your chosen finishes to provide suitable protection over the long run.
I have hesitated trying this because of the way finishes act on wood products made for this purpose. They always seem to fail after about a year or so.
My wife requested a hanger for our bathroom, I will try some of your meathods, Thanks!

I am going to make a couple of things for the wife to go in the bathroom. One thing will be a towel rack. I do not have any experiance in finishes. I read about finishes for damp environments, but they related to outside. This is a small bathroom and everything sweats when taking a shower. She wants a dark brown or black finish. I could just clear coat with something. Ok to the question:

Do I need to worry about rust? What finish will not rub off with towels rubbing over the bar? Will a clear coat wear off?

I know I could just paint them, but I was wondering if I could do something better?

Thanks.

I have used 'Mop & glow' for your kitchen floor from the local supermarket with good results. If it gets scratched just re- apply over the scratch and the 'Mop & Glow will repair itself.

While a more expensive option, stainless steel works well. Do the vinegar soak and wire brush for the bright finish. Just wire brush for the forge finish.

If you are going to wire brush stainless, its preferable to use a wire brush with stainless bristles or brass, otherwise the forged stainless will be contaminated and end up with a rust discoulered appearance.

i use krylon also for outside things or things that need to sparkle a little...that will rust outside around here after a while...i think its how clean the metal is from hand oils and other crap...but in a home i try and keep it to the wax and oil coating ...easily touched up with a little wax rubbing in...at least let it get a neat worn patina....when and if you like what it looks like then "freeze" the patina with a clear laquer works ofr me so far.....

Thanks John, I always forget that detail.

Yes, me too Gerald, but I put it down to my age, and call it a 'senior moment'

I think its also like most things, you just don't realize actually how many little details go in to producing a finished item or even part of an item and its so easy to omit one or two