I Forge Iron

new member intro

goatherder

Hi all, I am a retired oil field engineer who is now self employed at goat ranching in central Texas. I have been forging iron for about 10 years mostly to repair something that is broken, but sometimes to make something new.
After looking around the forums, I can't believe how many people are interested in banging on hot iron. I always thought I was alone in the wilderness. This is going to be fun.

Goatherder

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! You nailed it when you said "This is going to be fun" Let me suggest that you check out www.balconesforge.org they are the Central TEXAS ABANA group. Join them if you can, you'll learn a ton with them and have a blast doing it. If you are close to Dallas there is the North Texas Blacksmith Assoc., not sure of their web addy. do a google for them.
Wife and I are from Goldthwaite, TX. How close are you to there? My brother-in-law lives north of there and has 200 head of goats that he raises. My father-in-law had 450 head back in the '80s and '90s. There is a man south of G'waite that has a bunch of Blacksmith tools if you are interested...sorta pricey with some things tho. Anyway, glad you are here. Enjoy

Hi all, I am a retired oil field engineer who is now self employed at goat ranching in central Texas. I have been forging iron for about 10 years mostly to repair something that is broken, but sometimes to make something new.

After looking around the forums, I can't believe how many people are interested in banging on hot iron. I always thought I was alone in the wilderness. This is going to be fun.

Goatherder

Welcome aboard Goatherder, glad to have ya! If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Besides I may be traveling in your neck of the woods one of these days and I'd really hate to have to rely on my memory of who's in the area if I wanted a tasty snack. <grin>

Heck, I thought you might be from the BIG state, Deb and I raise goats and there're lots of oil field workers about though most are descrete enough to not bandy it about in polite company. Oh, that's right you mentioned it here. <grin>

Oh yeah, there's the whole playing with fire and hitting things with hammers thing. Lots of us doing that here too, not as many as in texas mind but we have plenty of playmates here though they're better than twice as spread out.

Frosty