I Forge Iron

Propane torch settings

I have recently acquired a torch that I am going to use propane and oxygen with. I had the regulators inspected by a welding shop and they verified that they are compatible for the use I intend. I did however forget to find out what psi setting I need to keep the two gases regulated to. Anyone have a source, or know offhand? thanks.

We set the Oxy to the same pressures as you would use for Actly. The propane we set to what ever looks good, most of our LPG regs don't have gauges on them. We only use LPG for cutting and brazing though, it won't as a rule work for Oxy welding steel. If we are using a torch for heating we will turn the LPG up, if we are using it for cutting we adjust it to give a nice neat flame. Make sure you use LPG/Propane cutting tips in your torch, they have a recess in the flame end and are normally 2 piece, Actly tips wont work with LPG.
Phil

I have recently acquired a torch that I am going to use propane and oxygen with. I had the regulators inspected by a welding shop and they verified that they are compatible for the use I intend. I did however forget to find out what psi setting I need to keep the two gases regulated to. Anyone have a source, or know offhand? thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a clue what to set the psi to. I just adjusted it so that I can turn the valve on the torch and it gives me a nice flame that isn't lifting off when I light the propane side and adjusted the oxygen down to where I can turn the knob maybe 1/8-1/4 turn for use with a rosebud. When the oxygen was too high it would *pop* as soon as I cracked the oxygen valve. When the propane was too high I couldn't get the flame to sit on the torch. It would float about an inch out.

It's not scientific but it gets the job done. It ended up being much higher than you would want to run acetelyne at but lower than I thought it would be originally. That means somewhere between 15-30 psi. I'm running a pretty big rosebud so my adjustments are probably higher than what you would with a smaller torch.

For cutting, 7-15 lbs of propane, 16-50 or more lbs oxy, depending upon thickness of metal. For example, 10 p.s.i. propane and 30 p.s.i. oxy will cut 1/2'' (13 mm) plate easily.

I have a very large rosebud, 2'' diameter (50 mm), which requires 15 p.s.i. propane, 60 p.s.i. oxy.

• 4 weeks later...