I Forge Iron

Having trouble holding small pieces

My grandson asked me to make a cross pendent out of steel. something he could have around his neck that would not look girly. My problem comes with holding the pieces together while bringing them up to welding temp. I am trying to avoid tacking them with my stick welder and my vice grips would cover the whole joint not to mention what that heat would do for them.
Any suggestions?

Thanks Bob

Forge welding very small pieces together is tricky. Why not forge the cross from one piece. You could punch or drill holes in the corners and then split off the arms, or do a Christoff cross (Phil posted a link above). You could also forge a cross onto the face of a piece of flatbar, think repousse but thicker material.

Edited by JNewman
Link was posted while I was typing

Welcome Aboard! I noticed this is your first post, ok, it was after replying. IFI is represented by members from around the world, so please click "User CP" at the top of the page and enter a location. There are many other people willing to help, so feel free to ask. There is also a search function at the top of the page, many questions are well discussed and it may be quicker to search.

Phil

I have made alot of the fold out crosses from quarter inch stock and put them on rings for key chains...forge them on the end of a long bar and you do not have to use tongs..and thin stock loses heat fast you may want to try a couple from half inch to get the moves down first and avoid the frustration....

Thank you guys I had not even considered a foldout cross. I will read the instructions in the links and give it a shot.
Merry Christmas

Welcome aboard Merlin glad to have ya.

Fredric's cross is single piece and probably what's being called a fold out cross. This is one I did for a good friend who lost her husband. I've seen the same in pendant size and even one charm size.

If you want to weld it a twist of soft iron wire will keep things where they should be (maybe I should've said where you THINK they should be, that's MY experience anyway. ) If I were to try welding things in pendant scale I'd light my torch for heat rather than the forge. I sure may hammer weld it but torch heat it for the control.

Best of luck and remember we LOVE pics.

Frosty

19987.attach

Hi Merlin. I saw a nice cross project in the CBA magazine. It was made out of horseshoe nails. Weld the nails on their heads. Use a light pair of tongs, and bend the nails so that the tongs stay out of the hot spot. The important thing is to think through each weld, and do a tiny little scarf at every junction.

When welding something very tiny, I sometimes have better luck with a propane torch, some soft firebrick, and a pair of scrolling tongs to pinch the joint when it comes up to heat. There is a web page somewhere that features a fellow who makes forge welded chain mail rings with a propane torch and borax flux.

Hi Merlin. I saw a nice cross project in the CBA magazine. It was made out of horseshoe nails. Weld the nails on their heads. Use a light pair of tongs, and bend the nails so that the tongs stay out of the hot spot. The important thing is to think through each weld, and do a tiny little scarf at every junction.

When welding something very tiny, I sometimes have better luck with a propane torch, some soft firebrick, and a pair of scrolling tongs to pinch the joint when it comes up to heat. There is a web page somewhere that features a fellow who makes forge welded chain mail rings with a propane torch and borax flux.

You could always silver solder them, the mention of horse shoe nails as pendants stirred a memory and I found these pics of some samples I had been playing around with some years ago and had them chrome plated. They will also soft solder, but if plated the solder shows more darkly than the silver solder.

20010.attach

20011.attach

20012.attach

20013.attach

20014.attach