I Forge Iron

how do you heat your shop

RLD

I sometimes light an open fire outside my shop.

What't nice is my welder is driven by an old Wisconsin engine. The cooling fan's output is directed by shrowds over the engine and blows out one side. I'll put it by my bay door with the exhaust pointed outside and the cooling fan output blowing in; it takes the chill off so long as there's welding to be done.

i just wear more clothes when it gets shilly. It's been hovering around freezing point for the last couple of weeks now. It's not great when sat doing fine work, but mostly it's ok as long as I can keep moving about.

thought about a wood burner but there is no space really. I did use a small brazier when I was sat at the workbench for a while, but I kept finding it was in the way when I moved about

I've been giving a lot of thought to getting lots of forging done whilst its cold and saving up the forged bits to work on cold when the weather warms up. So I could make a stock of blades and other metal parts I need over the next few months, then gradually work through the handles etc when the weather warms up. That way (in theory at least) I get to stay warm at the forge during the winter and I don't need to spend so much time next to a raging infurno during the warmer summer months ;) nice theory, but I doubt it will work out!

Yrs ago in New England we put a old kero heater under the steel bench. Heats up the benchtop and nice air flow out the front. Partner puts a full spray can on top to warm it up. Phone rings he goes in the office. I am sitting on the bench shareing lunch with shop dog. Painted back of my legs, bottom of table, wall and lastly bottom of old Buck. All bright blue. Moral don't put stuff on the stove and DO NOT trust your partner(Buck didn't
after that)
Ken

Yrs ago in New England we put a old kero heater under the steel bench. Heats up the benchtop and nice air flow out the front. Partner puts a full spray can on top to warm it up. Phone rings he goes in the office. I am sitting on the bench shareing lunch with shop dog. Painted back of my legs, bottom of table, wall and lastly bottom of old Buck. All bright blue. Moral don't put stuff on the stove and DO NOT trust your partner(Buck didn't

after that)

Ken

Ken: That reminds me of a Honeymooners episode where Ed Norton puts a can of beans in a wood stove to heat for dinner with predictable results. If anyone out there is too young to remember the Honeymooners it was a sitcom series from the 50's. I wasn't a fan but remember a few episodes and . . . Nevermind. <grin>

Frosty