I Forge Iron

Christmas Ornaments

MarkC

Somehow I think that statement may miss the mark, I'd much rather give a store bought meaningless gift to someone I don't care about, as opposed to making something with my own hands for those I do, I attempt to make things that people will remember me by, for as long as they keep it, and with steel, it lasts a loooong time. They do make good gifts for all!!

My tree has at lest 10 smith made ornaments not all where gift's some I bought off of friends who made them at x miss to make some x miss cash. but if you are looking for a fast way to make an ornament. take come copper cut it into a diamond shape fold it in half hammer the edge open. to hard to explain I will make one today and post it tonight when i get home from the shop. I will do a step by step.

I've done hand forged Christmas ornaments for years. Down here making chilis and painting them bright red or green is a good project. For small ones I forge down the tubular legs from a junked bag chair.

My parents are pretty well off so handmade is a great way to give them something that they don't already have 5 of.

Hi Phil. I waited until I was done. I even used flat black paint and painted it first. spread a couple of the strands just far enough to get the marble in. squeeze back together and touched up the little scratches in the paint. I used 8 square rods 1/8"X5" and put a 1/2" long stub on each end where the center rod would be. Fun project. Good luck. :)

• 3 years later...

This is an awesome website. I am an officer in the Brotherhood of Steel a club at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (Prescott, AZ). We have just started this semester. we have built a coal forge out of kitchen sink and refractory cement and we found another one at a junk yard. we are currently using railroad strips as anvils. we have invested in the proper tongs and hammers. but we were thinking as a fundraiser to find a simple ornament to make and sell to raise funds for more tools. Do any of you have ideas to help us out. most of us are pretty new to blacksmithing. Thanks so much.

Anybody got any ideas for a tree topper? I have recently been asked to make a tree topper for a local charity auction and am kind of struggling with what to make... I was thinking a 6 or so inch long 1/4 inch square bar basket twist with a point at one end but not sure how to make it attach properly to the tree... Any ideas?