I Forge Iron

A small hat rack

My grandmother came up a couple of days ago and while she was here asked me about making a hat rack for her. I forged this out last saturday for her.
The base piece is 2x1/4 flat bar. The hooks are 3/8 round, and the wall mount brackets are 1/2x1/4 flat bar. I would rather have made the wall mounts out of 3/4x1/4 flat but didn't have any of that. Everything is riveted.

DSC03160.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

One last one:

DSC03154.jpg

The wall mount brackets are 16 inch centered to match studs. The whole thing is finished with an artist gloss spray.
It is 2ft long.

As with all the stuff I put pictures of on here, I do not mind in the least if you make an exact copy and sell it with your personal stamp on it.

Thoughts???
Dave

I would agree with all that has been said, I will make one suggestion though. I would put two rivets in the hooks to hold the coats. In time they will loosen some and wobble with just one rivet. On your next one put two. I like your fish tail ends, nicely done.

Mom said it looked like a fish tail but my big Sister said that it looked like a shell! To me it was a peen texture on the end. LOL I had wondered about the rivets like you mentioned. The only objection to doing two on the hooks is that there is not a any variation in the rivets. I.E. each set of rivets comes in twos. By doing one on the hooks, there is a variation when you get to the wall mount rivets. I suppose to get the best of both worlds, I should do one rivet and a spot weld on the back of the hook to hold it steady.

Thanks for all the comments!
Now it's time to see one of you pro's do this!
Dave

I would agree with all that has been said, I will make one suggestion though. I would put two rivets in the hooks to hold the coats. In time they will loosen some and wobble with just one rivet. On your next one put two. I like your fish tail ends, nicely done.

Or use a square rivet

Hey Dave, its easy to "improve/alter" on things done by others, the hard job is doing it in the first place and putting it before others for opinions.

I think you have done a good job, and its great to see your progress, well done and keep it up, Respect!