I Forge Iron

my first tongs

clinton

well not my first attempt but the first finished pair I used some potato digger chain it is 1/2 inch round 13mm for metric folks. I got this material years ago and now I cant remember what it is it gives a good spark of high carbon nice tight patern. the top pair is what I used as a guide to forging they are tom tongs actually tsur tongs I believe I needed 1/2 inch tongs and they look like they will work good and they feel good in the hand. anyone know what they use for the potato diggers? also I am resising my pics can someone give me some feed back on the dowload speed and quality of the pics I am on dsl and some of the pics I look at take too long to open up can imagine the folks on dial up

19112.attach

19113.attach

19114.attach

19115.attach

Clinton,

Nice pair of tongs. I need to make some similar to that sometime soon.

Oh, and the pictures open nice and quick. I am on DSL, but I know what you mean about some of the pictures lately. Some are taking forever to open. What did you do different? is it all in the size of the file?

I live in potato country, and used a lot of digger chain for punches and chisels. It's got a narrow heat window to forge in, put it back in the fire if it's not red. Mark Aspery said it behaves like 1090-ish steel. It's hard to heat treat, I was breaking 2 or 3 tools out of 10 with an oil quench and blue temper, then Mark got us using the triple draw water quench method. I would recommend doing a full anneal in ashes on your new tongs, and never quench them when they get hot. I now make chisels, etc from S-7 and use the digger chain for dinner triangles. The high carbon triangles ring lots louder than mild steel.

Nice job Clinton. Those were coming together nicely when i saw you yesterday. Thanks again for the sweet deal on the post vise. I'm gonna mount it up tomorrow. I need to forge a spring for the jaws, and make a bracket. Next time i come by i will be happy to swing the sledge for you! You have alot of neat stuff in your shop, i look forward to stopping by in the future when we can spend some time forging.

Clinton,

Nice pair of tongs. I need to make some similar to that sometime soon.

Oh, and the pictures open nice and quick. I am on DSL, but I know what you mean about some of the pictures lately. Some are taking forever to open. What did you do different? is it all in the size of the file?

I am running windos xp on that computer and when you open the folder with the pictures you right click on the pic and it gives you an option to resize I have been using the med i think its 600 x 800 my other computer windos vista does not work that way thanks for the input brian d

I live in potato country, and used a lot of digger chain for punches and chisels. It's got a narrow heat window to forge in, put it back in the fire if it's not red. Mark Aspery said it behaves like 1090-ish steel. It's hard to heat treat, I was breaking 2 or 3 tools out of 10 with an oil quench and blue temper, then Mark got us using the triple draw water quench method. I would recommend doing a full anneal in ashes on your new tongs, and never quench them when they get hot. I now make chisels, etc from S-7 and use the digger chain for dinner triangles. The high carbon triangles ring lots louder than mild steel.

wow thanks for that info i did not realize that stuff is that tuff i was going to oil quench but after posing the pics and trying to research the digger chain my fire went out

Nice job Clinton. Those were coming together nicely when i saw you yesterday. Thanks again for the sweet deal on the post vise. I'm gonna mount it up tomorrow. I need to forge a spring for the jaws, and make a bracket. Next time i come by i will be happy to swing the sledge for you! You have alot of neat stuff in your shop, i look forward to stopping by in the future when we can spend some time forging.

ya i shut down the forge after you left had to finish in the morning
ya wish i could have given you a full tour but next time you come over we will get to all that have fun with that vise the spring is an easy fix

I am running windos xp on that computer and when you open the folder with the pictures you right click on the pic and it gives you an option to resize I have been using the med i think its 600 x 800 my other computer windos vista does not work that way thanks for the input brian d

Thanks for the info Clinton,
I too am using XP and will have to give that a try next time I post with a pic.