I Forge Iron

polyurethane contact wheels...

I'm planning to build my first grinder, but when doing some research I found out how much contact wheels cost... ( I'm a broke as a joke college student, so $275 on a wheel is a bit much for my wallet.)

But yesterday I found sunray, inc. For an 8" wheel it is $75! click here to see it.

the only thing I don't know about is that it is polyurethane. You can choose the hardness of the rubber. The scale goes from 60A (soft as a car tire) to 80A (hard as a tap washer) and then up to 70D (hard as a gold ball).

Please let me know what you think. it would save me a ton of cash if i could use this wheel.

I've heard that they work OK, but that you gotta be careful about heat or they'll melt on you. I don't have a big contact wheel, I've got a 2" and a 4" and I've never got either of them hot to the point that they actually felt hot. Seems like more heat is generally created in the bearings than at the surfact of the wheel? Anyway I too am in the process of looking for a large contact wheel for hollow grinds and am anxiously awaiting your report should you so choose to be the guinea pig.

awsome! It's going to take me a while to get my beast running, but I will have pics up when it's done.

How hard should I order my wheel to be? I've never used a knife making grinder, so I am unsure. Click here to see the scale sunray inc offers.

I should probably start a new thread for this, but Im just gonna throw this in here. Does anyone have any advice or experience using treadmill motors and their variable speed drive? what's their hp? drive shaft size? do's and don'ts?

thank you so much for your advice!

My wheel is a high Shore A (80-90). I used to work for a molding shop that overmolded aluminum caster bodies and I kept a few rejects.

I have no experience with the VS motors - I simply run my grinder at full speed all the time and change grits if I want better finishes.

i have experiance with those treadmill motors but if your looking for one you want the the dc motor so it is controlable if your not familer with them if you look under the mill at the motor its small and there is a circit board by it don't under estimate them small motors most are 2-3 horse the grinder i'm colecting parts for im using one on it i have one on my logan lathe but at this moment its all apart as im rebuliding it if you need any info on them motors pm me on here and i'll try to help you in that direction just remember if you find a treadmill take the holething as you will need the motor and the controler and wires the motor are real simple to hook up most that i have goten have wireing diagram by the motor as i have about 6-7 motors and controlers

i have experiance with those treadmill motors but if your looking for one you want the the dc motor so it is controlable if your not familer with them if you look under the mill at the motor its small and there is a circit board by it don't under estimate them small motors most are 2-3 horse the grinder i'm colecting parts for im using one on it i have one on my logan lathe but at this moment its all apart as im rebuliding it if you need any info on them motors pm me on here and i'll try to help you in that direction just remember if you find a treadmill take the holething as you will need the motor and the controler and wires the motor are real simple to hook up most that i have goten have wireing diagram by the motor as i have about 6-7 motors and controlers

I think I'll have to take you up on that offer sometime! I know nothing about motors, so a little help would be awsome. I also just got word that a friend of mine found a junked treadmill, so i might be in luck!