I Forge Iron

Natural gas

Senft

Am considering construction of variable size gas forge using natural gas with blower. Suppose interior volume could go from roughly 1-3 cubic feet. What I'm wondering is size of natural gas supply line needed considering forge volume. I have easy access to 1/2" supply lines or not easy access to a 1" line, wondering if the 1/2" line would do the trick with this? as far as I know, gas pressure as supplied is in the less than 1psi range. I do not need welding heat, just enough for normal forging and shaping operations. Anyone have experience with this?

I am running a natural gas line to my forge this weekend. Tomorrow the gas company is coming to repalce my gas meter with a larger one (425,000 BUTs). They replce it for free, where I live, I just have to reconncet it to the house. I want to make sure I am not starving the furnace in the dead of winter because I am running my forge.

The line I am running is 1/2", but I have 2 psi service. All pipe sizing charts that I found no the internet indicate that at 2 psi and 100 ft equivalent (that takes into account the added resistance for 90 bends etc...) that the line will still carry about 400,000 btu. Of course, just to be sure, i.e., if I end up running salt pots at the same time I am running the forge, I may run a 5/8" or 3/4" line.

Bottom line, (nice to finally be getting to it, eh? :-) if it were me and I was running at 11" W.C., like it sounds you are, I would run the larger line. To my way of thinking, better to have more capacity and not use it, than be short and have to run another line or worse yet, suffer with it.

Running your main line oversize from 1/2 to 3/4 or even 1 inch is cheap compared to having to redo it later. Also if you are doing direct burial there are some plastic products that are suitable for running the main line with. You will need to do some research, but the main at my parents house was replaced with plastic to the meter inside the house. All black pipe after the meter though.

Phil

As I need to plan for hose and disconnects (portable equipment), maybe I'll plan for 3/4" ones. Need to be able to adjust interior volume pretty large account of heating sheets and plates for forming, then be able to get it back into forge after it's partially shaped. Using big oxy-propane rosebud torch works but lotsa hassle with gas bottles and expensive.

You may want to look at armour forges for heating shaped pieces rather than heating the whole piece of sheet each time. There is a nice example over at anvilfire.com under the Armoury link, Eric Thing Raising a Norman helmet

Thanks Thomas, that's a good idea! will look into it.