I Forge Iron

Buffer into Grinder

Tim McCoy

Hi,
Just acquired a used and working Milwaukee 7" buffer ... heavy duty. I would like to know if it can be "converted" into an angle grinder? How much trouble to adapt it to hold grinding stones/wheels? It's a model 5540, 2800 RPM max and is 11 amp ... has a dial speed control. Any help would be appreciated.
Tim

It could make a sander for finishing. The variable speed could come in handy.

Look on Craigslist, I have seen some decently priced 9" grinders on there. I bought my almost new B&D Wildcat for $50 at a flea market. Garage sales are another place to find inexpensive tools.

I would stay away from Harbor Freight grinders. Plenty of good used tools out there with the downturn in the local building trades.

I seem to remember that the Milwaukee sander and grinder are the same tool. The sander is just missing the guard. Now this is not true for Harbor Freight. Their sander is really just a sander, and it is weak. But you can get a guard from a Milwaukee store or online. A lot of the grinders on the used market do not have guards. I usually pass on these, even if they are good deals, since they suggest that the owner is careless. Anyway, check online or at the store. I think they are the same tool.

I seem to remember that the Milwaukee sander and grinder are the same tool. The sander is just missing the guard. Now this is not true for Harbor Freight. Their sander is really just a sander, and it is weak. But you can get a guard from a Milwaukee store or online. A lot of the grinders on the used market do not have guards. I usually pass on these, even if they are good deals, since they suggest that the owner is careless. Anyway, check online or at the store. I think they are the same tool.

Close, but not quite. Grinders spin faster than sanders.