I Forge Iron

your shop rules for safety and success

divermike

So, can I assume that these were *not* taken at your shop, Grant? :cool:

My biggest ones....

If you think it's cooled down, it hasn't.
If you aren't sure...it's hot. leave it alone or use tongs to pick it up.

(with regards to hammers) THIS IS NOT A BAT!! [baseballs bats are, for the most part swung with uncontrolled energy and force] (I used the same rule when teaching my kids how to fence when they were small. To this day if Dad asks his boys, now 25 and 18 years old "what's rule #1?" They will reply "This is not a bat!")

David

Edited by Wolf's Den Armoury

In my bold opinion, the three most vital pieces of safety equipment are eyes, ears, and brain. Fail to use them properly and injury is guaranteed.

I think it was Paw Paw Wilson who said:

First mistake, slow down. Second Mistake, take a break. Third mistake, quit.

I count safety mistakes as two mistakes.

Most everything in my shop falls into the categories of: sharp, heavy, very hot or various combinations of the three.

If anyone comes into my tool shed, I ask simply that people ask before touching and to use caution and common sense.......
Unfortunately these traits seem to be painfully lacking in our culture today.

Most everything in my shop falls into the categories of: sharp, heavy, very hot or various combinations of the three.

I put it a slightly different way.
In blacksmithing, everything is hot, heavy, sharp, or dangerous.

and
Make a list of all YOUR body parts that you can do without. It is up to YOU to protect everything not on the list. (Then hand them a piece of paper.)

A few more safety rules:

Don't lean on vises. They are a heat sink and will burn you. At least they'll pinch you real bad.

Never heat a hollow form. Some bull points, (jack hammer bits), have a threaded end that can get closed over in use and if you heat this it can explode.

Many of us know to be careful of using oil in heat treating. Have a metal lid handy to snuff out a fire. Have oil-dry or the like for oil spills. Fire extinguisher. Enough volume of oil for what's being quenched. This is to prevent flashing and burning oil. And always use a metal bucket, not plastic. Hot oil can melt a plastic bucket and then you can get burned, oil all over the shop and a potential shop fire. Ouch!!!

Keep in mind that whatever we're throwing in the back of the car or pick up can become a potential missle if you stop quick or are in an accident. Tie down what ever you have in your vehicle. I heard of one guy who had the horn of his new anvil piercing the back of his truck between the passenger and the driver.

Practice patience!

Hey Grant, great photos! I'll assume it isn't of you ;)

Seriously now.
I would add not leaving round bar on the floor where it can be stepped on- we've all seen film sequences of marbles on a floor. Round bar acts the same, you step on it and it rolls out underneath you leaving you plummeting to the floor (back of the) head first.

Ian Lowe taught me a great demonstration of the dangers of black heat. Have two identical pieces of steel 'at hand'- one which is black hot. Hold up to the demonstree (is that a word?) asking can they tell which is hot; then cook a sausage (finger-like sample) on the hot one!

PS how big a perspex sheild should one have for around demonstration shops? I mean height- 7' at the top and a 18" air gap to the floor sound good? What do the experienced demonsrators swear by for public safety?
have fun now.
AndrewOC