I Forge Iron

Pry Bar Steel?

I have been buying cheap pry bars whenever I find them in antique malls or flea markets. I generally get them at real bargain prices and have found quite a few. I love them for punches, chisels and such tools! I have found that they make my 4140 tools seem pretty soft and fragile. I like this steel SO WELL that I am wanting to make a few production items from consistent identically sized stock... which means I need to buy new steel. I don't know just what to get though. Do any of you know what steel(s) are usually used to make pry bar tools?

In buying old pry bars it's difficult to tell what you have. I have bought them made from the late 1800's to the early 2000's and the price has all been about the same, a quarter, fifty cents for the small and one to two dollars for the large. I liked the way the older ones reworked as the newer ones were made in China and while usable as pry bars didn't rework as well.

Take a piece of stock (prybar or item made from prybar), look up in the phone book for chemical analysis or material testing and give a call. When I had floor tile and adhesives tested for asbestos a few years ago the batch was under $50. Work paid for it happily, and this was 5 years ago.

Phil