I Forge Iron

Hey Im new and excited to get going, tips or advice welcomed!

Hello everyone, I am eagerly starting my explorations into the exciting world of blacksmithing, but admit that I feel kind of lost haha. I would be very appreciative to anyone who would grace me with some advice or tips. I am currently being given a free coal forge and anvil from a friend and family member so Im pretty excited right now, even if all I can make is a hook haha. Any advice on where to acquire more tools such as tongs or hardy attachments or anything I might need but do not know about would be very helpful. Thank you very much!:)

Welcome to IFI :)

Now get a comfy chair, some food and your favourite beverage and go to the font page of IFI then take the Metalworking Lessons link then the Lessons in Blacksmithing link and start reading. You will be there a while so make sure you have laid in a good supply of time and sustenance.

After all that reading you will be a bit less lost till you try to light and maintain the fire and discover that even that is a skill that needs to be mastered.

Take it one step at a time, enjoy and keep safe.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! While you are at the front page be sure to check out the blacksmith groups in your area. Meetings are held regularly with special attention given to newbies. You can get some good, hands on help from members. There is nothing like having someone knowledgable watching you and pointing out ways to help, something you just can't get from reading any materials. Good luck and enjoy!

I highly recommend taking an introductory blacksmithing course.

The closest blacksmith guilds to South Central Pennsylania are Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland and Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Association with introductory courses (click on Link to BGCM Classes) offered by the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland at the Carroll County Farm Museum in Westminster, Maryland

My advice is to check this website as often as you check your email. There is a ton of experts on here who can steer you in the right direction when books, reading, and courses may leave you with some additional questions.

There is a decent learning curve, but don't be discouraged, stick with it and it will all make much more sense the more time that passes.

Remember that there are as many ways to get hurt as there are to make beautiful work. Be mindful of your safety, wear eye and hearing protection, and get a good leather apron and sturdy boots. Keep a water barrel or bucket handy at all times and a filled garden hose or fire extinguisher nearby. A wise man once said somewhere in this forum, "a splash from the quench bucket now will keep the big red trucks from coming later". I do not light my forge until I turn on the water to my shop hose. First the water, then the forge. No exceptions.

This is an awesome hobby, extremely rewarding. But never forget that you can be seriously injured or killed if you don't keep safety in mind at all times. The coolest hobby in the world is no use if you have a broken hand or a sliver of iron in your eyeball.

Read, and then go do what you read! No substitute for going out and trying things.

For tongs, go into every antique shop you can find. they always have a few pairs of blacksmithing tongs around.

Edited by MarkC