I Forge Iron

A couple of seax-ish knives I finished

Ecart

Okay, let's see if I can post pics today.
August_18_2009_002.jpg

I always check to see if I'm posting pics correctly before I continue with the post.
Anyway, I finished these back in August. Both are now spoken for. The bottom one went to a very pleased customer (which makes me pretty happy). He promptly dubbed it "Wolf's claw." It has an overall length of 9.5" and a blade length of 5."
My wife claimed the top one, the broken back style. It is around 8.75" long with a blade length of 3.75."

Both are full-tang construction, forged from 3/16" circular saw blade steel. I heat-treated, quenched in oil, then tempered to a straw color. They have walnut handles and brass pins. I finished the handles with tung oil and Butcher's paste wax.

Please keep in mind that these are not designed to be historically accurate. I took my inspiration from what I have seen other- better- makers put out. I thought they would be fun to do. I am interested in making more historically accurate seaxes, I just don't have the research behind me yet.

So, with that, I present my first two attempts at seaxes. Comments and constructive criticism are certainly welcome- especially if said comments or criticisms can point me to historical facts concerning this style of knife.

Edited by Ecart

Nothing wrong with starting small and slow, anyway that's what i do. Nice looking blades, should be real happy with them! :) and i know about the sweetie wanting a knife, mine has already tried to take a few ear marked for somebody else. well at least they are interested in what we do!;)

Thanks Chad. The great thing about my wife is that she wants me to teach her how to make sheaths so she can do that for me. It'll be great to have her involved.
She loves how beating on hot steel takes all of my stress from the day out of me and how it mellows me out by the time I put the fire out and come in for the night.

Great looking little knives!

From what Ive read so far, and been told by some good makers (I posted a similar question on B.B forum recently about grinding a seax) it was very very unusual to have a 'plunge line' on your grind, ie just run the grind off the end of the blade. And its easier to do ;) :)