I Forge Iron

arc-welder

Denny

What brand or model? Are you able to strike an arc with it where it is at? that tells a lot right there. If it is a lincoln AC225 (aka tombstone) or equivalent they last seemingly forever, if it has DC capability (and it works) I would snatch it up quickly. If you are refering to a wire feed machine (aka suitcase) it would depend more on the brand and the amp ratings. Some of those little ones will only cost 150 new, I'd pass in that case.

Details are needed if you can get them.

Well, after chatting with Glenn, AND researching the net, I opted out of the garage sale 'bargain' since for just a bit more I found a new garaunteed one on the net. havn't bought it yet, but decided not to be a fool rushing in. :)

Denny

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an old lincoln tombstone that may be older than I am (turn 50 this year) Copper wound transformer! I did have a weldor friend try it out first and it will do most of my smithing welding needs, mainly toolmaking and the odd treadlehammer project or so. Now to get power to the shop so I can stop hauling it next to the house and running the cord into the stove plug...

Thomas