I Forge Iron

Converting an oxy/acetylene torch to run off compressed/propane, is it possible?

Oxy-Propane is *preferred* for cutting! As mentione you have to have propane rated seals in the regulator and propane rated hoses and special tips; but it's cheaper than O-A in use and makes a great cut.

However Propane-compressed air won't work for cutting as it's the O2 that does the cutting---had our shop teacher demonstrate by doing a cut and turning off the Acetylene after it was started and finishing the foot long cut with only O2.

You do not need to change your regulator, the seals are fine for propane, but you must change your hose and tip. If you do, be sure to get 2 piece tips only. The hose is known as "type T".

It is possible to cut with compressed air, but not as it comes from the air compressor. It must be enriched first, and the equipment is expensive. Look into an owner size oxy tank, then you will have no lease.

SOME REGULATORS ARE NOT OK FOR PROPANE! They need to be marked "for all fuel gasses" and if you don't know it's ok get them checked before taking advice on the internet gets you killed or your house burned down!

Since I don't know how old or what brand regulators the original poster has err on the side of safety! Note that if your regulators are not ok for propane and you do use them for it and there is a problem your insurance is not required to pay!

One of my regulators is a harris and says “FUEL REGULATOR,” the second is a no-name-brand and says “Acetylene Regulator.” the first one’s set of hoses says “Acetylene only” and the others hoses say “grade T fuel use.” so I guess I can mix and match.