I Forge Iron

How Many Tons To Strike A Silver Six Pence

Eds

Thomas is quite correct. A hydraulic press has it's rated tonnage anywhere in the stroke and can apply it for a large distance, but never exceeds it's rated tonnage by much. Although fly presses are often rated in tons it's more for comparison. They actually have a certain amount of "joules" of energy and can expend it gradually over a long distance or all at once in a short distance. In other words, the "peak" pressure can be many times the "mean" pressure.

I would like to cold strike a similarly detailed sized and thickness silver sixpence with the smallest press that could do the job.

I spoke to royal mint and they did not know but guessed at 80 to 100 tons but I did not go into what knid of equipment they had based their answer on.

I looked at a few 100 ton presses and they seem huge industrial things.

I also guessed that a fly press with momentum might behave differently to a slow squeeze hydraulic press.

This is as far as i got because I started to get confused with pressure and force and momentum and surface area which all must inter relate.

So with all that in mind kind people what would one think?

Many thanks for helping me out so far

Ed

What is the actual silver content? and what are the other metals in the alloy? That will indicate the hardness of the coin to be struck. But IMHO, the more critical parts are the dies.....how intricate are they in design to be struck and how much relief is there to the images? Coin presses are now from 40 to 150 ton for use in an actual mint. To do one off coins in silver, a sledge hammer would probably do just fine. As an experiment, use a hand hammer and punch a piece of the silver in question with a steel letter stamp or touchmark stamp....see how deep the impression goes and work from there.

Thanks for helping.........

The token i am making would be 17mm diametre, 1mm thick, with a design similiar in complexity to a silver sixpence and made with standard .925 silver. The blank would be cold.

It might look similar to this

The Coins of British India - George V (1911-1936) - Cupronickel 1/12 Anna & 1/2 Pice

I was hoping to do it with one strike in a small press but am not sure what press would be up to the job.

The dies are going to be made professionally for around

Tom does great work and you can go to his website that includes coinage at
Shire Post Interdimensional Postal Service and Access Center

Also send him an e-mail; he's nice folks and would probably be happy to discuss the aspects of your coinage---including that striking identical reproductions of many coins is not legal and what it takes to do a similar but legal version.