I Forge Iron

Is the press a substitute for a Trip Hammer?

pinetar

Depends what you are trying to do, and what suits your tastes. Are you asking about Fly-presses or Hydraulic-presses? For forge welding and most smithing operations all three can be used, however some folks prefer squeezing pattern-welding rather than hitting. And don't forget roller-mills. :D

I believe there was a similar thread on this question a few months ago with a lot of opinions expressed. The two tools can do similar work but are best suited for specific operations. For example, sharpening plow sweeps is a better job for a trip hammer while fullering a collar or upsetting a bolt head might be a good choice for a press. That doesn't mean either one can't be done with the other machine but each is better for particular things.

I think for you this question will answer itself after you set up a shop. Forge a couple of years on a regular basis and get the body mechanics down correctly, learn how hot metal moves under a hand hammer. Somewhere in that time period you will decide what it is you wish to make during most of the time you will forge. That will let you know the answer.A power hammer will do everything you have done by hand,,A press will apply slower pressure and move metal also.

Edited by Mod17
spelling

I have a 3 phase hyd unit I could use but some yahoo threw out a couple of heavy hyd. cylinders. I have been around many hyd. systems so I may attempt to plan on a build.

I had some european 18" dia. air cylinders but I think those are gone also. I still have a larger air comp. that is not being used but it is still expensive to operate.

No forge, no oven but a strong interest.

This boils down to: "is a dump truck better than a race car?" and the answer is that it depends on what you are trying to do and that if you don't even know how to drive you probably don't need to worry about the question right now...

For what I do a powerhammer is best; for what a friend does a press is best ;for you ?????

Thomas