I Forge Iron

Going to the flea market...

Nice score!!!
I wouldn't turn those shears into scrolling tong however, clean and sharpen instead... with your new files and wire brushes:D:D
Got yourself some fire tending tool....

Thanks. As far as the shears go, I have two other pairs of snips that are in great shape. This one isn't so is a good candidate to become some other useful item.

Next, we just need to convince his spouse to acquire tools and iron for him, and his conversion will be complete. :D
Actually, you won't have to twist too far as A) she's going to participate, too and B) she loves the scrounging nature of this craft and that so many things can be recycled or found for a song. She's the thrifty one in the family. I am the spend-thrifty one. We're good for each other.

I get a "fleamarket allowance" to cover all my vices and vises of $20 a week I hope to get it bumped up to $25 a week when my wife goes on Social Security.

Makes working on the cheap kind of fun and we never have to worry about the family budget.

I'm building a 20x30' shop extension off my allowance and whatever I have accrued from selling stuff I have forged (and materials I have scrounged for free!)

I get a "fleamarket allowance" to cover all my vices and vises of $20 a week I hope to get it bumped up to $25 a week when my wife goes on Social Security.

Makes working on the cheap kind of fun and we never have to worry about the family budget.

I'm building a 20x30' shop extension off my allowance and whatever I have accrued from selling stuff I have forged (and materials I have scrounged for free!)
Thomas, that's great. My wife likes your idea of an allowance :confused: Actually, we talked about it and decided it would be a good idea.

Well I should call it $20 a week +/- $1000 as since we do stick to a budget we have money in the bank and if I was to run across a hundred+ pound powerhammer in great shape for $1000 I could call up my wife and she would agree that's not a deal to miss and let me buy it!

One of the secrets of getting good deals is to be always looking for them and then having the cash to buy them on the spot! If you are always broke spending money on bad deals then when a good one wanders by you have to watch as someone else gets it!

As it is I get to spend my "vice allowance" on *anything* with no spousal oversight; also allows me to have money for presents to her that doesn't go past her as comptroller.

It works for our marriage; her previous husband was a spendthrift and she suffered for his excesses; I'm willing to live with the constraint to have a happy wife---25+ years so far! And the only thing we owe on is the house!

Edited by ThomasPowers