I Forge Iron

Paramo #6 vice I found in our shop

pinetar

Welcome Pinetar, You would still want a post vise, they are constructed to take the energy of the hammer blows down the leg and spreads out from there. Besides the way a post vise is made you can clamp longer material verticially in it. Most blacksmiths have more than one post vise, depending on the room they have. In your area you have the Western Reserve Blacksmiths a very good group of people.

Certainly you can make use of this vise... you'll still want a post vise (or several) one day, but as you are just starting out this will do you for now. I have a big old chinese machinist type vise that is pretty useful in my shop... it is a low quality vise but it's size and weight make it reasonably useful anyway. In any case a vise is not one of the most ESSENTIAL needs for you at this stage.

As usual, the answer is "it depends". Depending on what you are doing, the processes you are applying to a piece, as well as the size of the item you are making, different tools for different processes. In general a large leg vise can do pretty much anything you need because of its size and being designed to absorb hammer blows better than a bench mounted vice. On the other hand portable military equipment during the US War Between the States used legless vises because that was what was practical to transport. So yes you can do most stuff with that machinist vise, however some heavy hammering might damage the vise and/or put it out of commission.