I Forge Iron

Large Nanbokucho style Naginata

John Smith

Ok guys I have been out of the shop for about a month now. So aside from polishing blades and stuff. I decided to forge my first Naginata and it is in the Nanbokucho period I love that period in Japanese history. It is a wide blade and is historical to the originals I have seen, and I have reaserched the specs and there are some even wider than mine. So having said that, the blade specs are as follows.

The steel is 1050. And I go it from a forum member, who's name escapes me right now
OAL is 36 3/4"
The Nakago is 15 1/2"
The Nagasa is 21 1/4" this may change as I bring the kissaki in a bit to even the balance out.
The Motohaba ( Mune-machi to Ha-machi ) is 1 1/2"
The widest point at the kissaki is about a 16th under 1 3/4
The blades thickness at the mune-machi is 1/4"

And once I am done draw filing the blade and have the shinogi set it will bring the mune in at the kissaki to about 3/16". There will be more sori once I heat treat it.
This blade look beefy but handles extremely well.

So here are some photos of the blade and my Fiance is holding it to give some depth.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Comments welcome

Chuck I choose this piece of steel because I want some great activity in the habuchi once heat treated. I could have used some W-1 or W-2 and got great results, however 1050 is a very good steel to use. Plus 1095 does not fair well in water quenching, which is what I do for all my steel. Except 5160 which is oil quenched.