I Forge Iron

New Post Anvil

Well I have been wanting to try a post anvil for knife making, after reading about it and watching Tim Lively's vidio I decided what I wanted. Since my knees won't stand for me kneeling down too much I decided I wanted something taller than in Tim's vidio. I also wanted more weight and mass below the face of the anvil. I started looking and found a salvage iron yard who had a 6' piece that they would cut for me. It was used steel and sold for .50 a lb. I had them cut off a 3' section with a band saw and it weighs 163 lbs. I figured I could simply place it on the ground a fabricate some sort of a stand for it. So here is what I came up with. The box is open on the bottom and the 'anvil' sits on the concrete. I also ground one of the edges round. Here are some pics and I also included one that shows my Hay Budden in the back. Oh and I guess I will put a couple of pics of my forge in here for the halibut!
Well whadda you think?
Joe

UnicornForge,
The stand is only 1' square total, so you can really belly up to this post anvil, I also mentioned that the post is 36" tall so I don't have to bend when working on a blade. Since the post is 4"x4" you have a 4" shelf all around the anvil, just enough room to lay a few things on when working. I plan on putting on some straps/loops for hammers, tongs, etc. Hope this clears things up.
Joe

Not criticizing in anyway, but why not weld it to a piece of plate so that you can optimize it's and yours performance? Happy hammering though, they are so much nice to work on for blades than a regular blacksmith anvil. It's like having a 400lb anvil under your hammer, even though it only weighs 150lbs! Nice acquisition.