I Forge Iron

Sutter's Fort Smithy

As I'm not yet a member of the California Blacksmith's Association (question probably more directed to that organization), I was wondering if anyone on IFI knows any details about the smithy at Sutter's Fort in Sacramento? Is it functional, is there a group that demo's there, etc.?

While I'm on the subject of Sacramento area smithies, anyone know anything about the one at Cal Expo? I was there with my wife for the state fair, and there was a woman working at one of the anvils which got my wife to exclaim, "Chicks can do this?!" To which I replied, "Sure! Come out to the back yard sometime and we can do it together!" (she hasn't been out there yet, but I'm still trying...)

-Chris

Edited by chrisfrick
added info

Thanks, George--I've seen some of Lorelei's work and a couple of short videos. I'll have my wife check it out.

My main question was--does anyone know anything about the Smithy at either Sutter's Fort, or Cal-Expo? (I would've asked the guy at the state fair, but my 3 year old needed to "go potty" and then we had to get going.) As for Sutter's Fort, I was going to give those people a call sometime in the future, but was just wondering if anyone on IFI knew any details about the smithy there--*looks* functional, but who knows. (thought it was funny that something started by a Swiss guy has nothing but English style anvils in there!)

-Chris

Chris-
I don't know anything about Sutter's Fort. Is it part of the Cal. State Park System? If it is I believe you can apply as a volunteer. I am going to be doing that for Empire Mine State Park here in Grass Valley. Empire only takes applications for a training held once a year in February (I think). From What I understand from the director at Empire Mine, once you become a volunteer you can volunteer at any of the parks in the system. Thats all I've got, Hope it helps...

Thanks, Fe-wood. I was looking at the California state parks websites and maybe I'll give them a call to volunteer. I only live about a 12 minute drive from Sutter's Fort, and it would be kind of fun to work in there every once in awhile.

Does anyone know if the Czech style hammer similar to Hofi's was in use around the mid 1800's?? (would be nice to use my Hofi hammer!!)

-Chris