I Forge Iron

Underwater Welding

• 1 month later...

From my understanding the electrodes are covered in bee's wax. after a arc is striked it creates a bubble for them to weld in. That is how it was explained to me when I went and checked out the college of oceaneering in wilmington california many years ago. Sorta crazy it is that simple.

I heard that the old-timers just dipped their rods in paint to keep the flux intact and a fellow on the surface just used a knife switch to cut the power when the diver wasn't actually welding; cavemen.

I've thought of trying to lay some beads in a water trough at the shop, but have been too busy to mess around.

I've dunked 6010 in water and ran it with hight current to do come scabby emergency cutting....how much underwater welding "street cred" is that worth? :)

• 8 years later...

i welded underwater many years . The rod is  special rod hydro-flow by Llinclon is one of the most popular because of the availability. the stinger is aa special type with a gas ring around the outside looks similar to a torch keeps the water away from the weld so it is easir to heat the HAZ .some folks have been known to use a regular tweeco stinger most of these guys have quite a bit of experience. the welder has an interrupter that cuts the currant to the machine when not welding or changing of rods..THERE ARE OF COURSE THOSE FOLKS WHO DENY ALL LOGIC AND USE OTHER THAN PROPER EQUIPMENT.THESE I WILL NOT REVEAL BECAUSE OF THE DANGER AND FLAT OUT STUPIDITY INVOLVED