I Forge Iron

Junk Yard troubles

This may be a stupid question but:
How do you negotiate with scrap yards to buy scrap from them? I was at two of the local scrap yards in Delaware today scrapping some aluminum and copper. I saw some beautiful tool steel, railings, and channel. I tried to buy the material and was told no scrounging allowed.

I had the same problem with the city dump. Some great metal being dumped and once again told no scrounging by order of law.

So, how do all of you that boast about great finds at the junk yard end up with them?

Thanks,
karl

Come to the yard armed with hard hat, steel toed boots, gloves, eye protection, long sleves, long pants, and a couple dozen cookies or donuts. Sign the release if needed and thank them. Be sure to leave the place better than you found it.

Karl, Diamond State Recycling is where I go when I need specific scrap. I know the guys there and they are a good bunch, but you have to play by their rules. Explain why you are there and what you do. Wear long pants, gloves, and steel-toe boots. Bringing a hard-hat may be a good idea as well(if you don't own one, I can give you one as I have a dozen or so)... DON'T just walk into the yard, go inside first. A good time to go is during lunch break, as the cranes aren't running and it is safer to walk around and they are more likely to let you in. Where is your shop at? I am in the Wilmington area as well..

For new stock, Steel and Metal Liquidators in Newport is a good place.

I have gone to the same scrap yard for years so they kind of know me even if the help changes a lot. You do have play by their rules and it doesn't hurt to talk them up a bit but don't waste their time. I always pay cash and never ask for a receipt for small amounts of scrap that I'm just going to mess around with, big orders that are billable yes. You got to build a relationship with them. It takes time.

it might help to ask if you can trade what you bring for other material also. Apperance is vital too, don't walk in with tennies and shorts on and a T shirt with some smart saying on it. Dress for the occasion like has already been posted. And if you know any clean jokes, ask if they want to hear a good joke. Also let them know that you will be a steady customer if they let you browse and tell them what you are looking for, after awhile them may just save back things you want for you.

Edited by irnsrgn

One recycling place near me won't sell it but I asked very excitedly about a piece of plate and the guy let me take it. Mason Dixon auto salvage also deals in scrap and you can peruse through the yard and then pay by weight. They're located on Rt 1 at the PA/MD line. Plus you'll find a lot of coil and leaf for doing different things.

The same thing is happening all over too many dad blame lawyers and insurance companies involved. A feller can't even sneeze without a fear of a lawsuit. I have had places that I dealt with for years all of a sudden cut me off because of liability. The best answer is to find a private yard and deal with them. I have two that I deal with now. No problems...The donuts are not a bad idea anyway.