I Forge Iron

Welding the anvil

I posted a couple of photos in the gallery of the Friday night anvil forge weld at Quad State.

The guys striking are: Sheldon Browder and Steve Mankowski from Colonial Williamsburg, and Mark Gardner from Illinois. 3 of the weekend's demonstrators. I had talked with Mark about this about a month or so before when he and Mindy were at the school teaching their repousee class...

I was lucky to have a good spot to take a few photos. I had about 250 or so...these were the more exciting ones.

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_277.jpg

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_283.jpg

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_297.jpg

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_335.jpg

Peyton

I posted a couple more photos....

One is of Richard Postman "warming" us up on the history of forging the anvil based on his research for his book(s) while the anvil heated up. That was, to me, just as cool as welding the anvil. Guess that comes with beng a history teacher...

I took a few at the beginning up high. There were no seats left so I scaled the back of the grandstands and held onto the rafters shooting with one hand for as long as my back would allow. I think for the first two tries. It took 4 to make it stick.

Then I snuck down in front and laid down on the floor for the rest of the shots. That was really cool! I will remember that experience for many years to come!

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_111.jpg

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_120.jpg

Mark_Aspery_and_Quad_State_197.jpg

Peyton

I was lucky with the pictures...

I believe the tool steel plate was a piece of 1045....not sure though. But that sticks out in my brain. I know they punched the hardy and pritchel(?....I know the hardy hole for sure). They also used a flatter to even up the face somewhat....

The anvil was auctioned off Saturday night and one of the SOFA guys won it. All those who helped stamped their initials into it and also the date it happened.

I wish I had a few more coins in my pocket that night because that is a great piece of modern history for all of us. And I would have loved to have put that into our Blacksmith School for display...

Peyton

Especially if you have ever seen the Cajun Blackened anvil pictures from a prior attempt by other people elsewhere.

That could have been my old 1828 William Foster; but I want to keep it after it gets re-faced! (It's on my list which is why I suggest that it get done at Quad-State---and then had to miss it!)

Roger Degner (UMBA) video taped it. UMBA offer videos for $7 for the first one, and $5 for subsequent ones (see UMBA web site). Roger is not sure he will have a good video because the strikers kept moving between the camera and the anvil. I would bet, based upon his prior successes though, the video will be worthwhile, just not as good as he would have liked it to have been.

The fire pot was one of the long knife maker SOFA fire pots. The forge was square in shape lined with fire bricks to get a deep enough fire. The coke was industrial coke brought in for the demo. ...oh and a big elec. blower!!!! From what I heard from several people there and from the looks of it they pretty much melted the fire pot!

I agree with Dave. I am sure Roger will have a good video well worth the cash!

Peyton