I Forge Iron

Leaves

In the attuched 14 pics I will show the process of forging a leaf my way
on pics 13-14 one can see that because of the way I use the anvil and the crosspeen hammer on the two opposite sides of the leaf Iget the spine of the leaf . Tleaf is forged here step by step but in production it is forged in one heat
Hofi

17908.attach

17909.attach

17910.attach

17911.attach

17912.attach

17913.attach

17914.attach

17915.attach

17916.attach

17917.attach

17918.attach

17919.attach

17920.attach

17921.attach

many times we need to forge surrated leaves . In the next pics I''ll sow two ways that I use to forge them
pic 27-28 the gulliotine made out of two parts of an old threading rigid tool
pic 29-30-31the use and the result
pic 32 one can use also a threaded bar
pic 33-34-35-36 the leaves
pic 37 if one do not like to show the lines tht are a result of the thread
it is possible to grind one face

Hofi

17934.attach

17935.attach

17936.attach

17937.attach

17938.attach

17939.attach

17940.attach

17941.attach

17942.attach

17943.attach

Hofi
Thank you, I would never have thought of this technique on my own. I will have to give this a try during my next forge session. I (and many others) truly appreciate the time you take to help us out with these photo-essays and descriptions.
Thank you again
Phil

Hofi,
Thanks for the pictures of the surrated leaves. I had a whole bunch of bolts left over from the transmissions that I rebuild so I forged a leaf from them and they turn out just like the ones of the thread bar but I had never thought about the gillotine tool to put the threads on nice idea. Thanks so much for sharing your talents.
Gaylan

Thank you sir! I use a similar process but I can see several little shortcuts and refinements that will improve my techniques. These are VERY nice sets of photos and a really useful lesson! With teachers like you and Brian Brazeal and Mark Aspery here we have a truly golden opportunity! Bless you!

Clay

John B AND EVERY ONE ELSE ON THE SURRATING GULLIOTINE THE UPPER PART IS WELDED TO DIFFERENT STEEL WITH STAINLESS STEEL ELECTRODE AND THERE FOR NO HARM WHEN YOU HIT IT
ESPECIELY WHEN IT IS GRINDED ''ROUNDY'' AND THE OPPERATION IS DONE WHEN THE FUTUER LEAF STEEL IS HOT AND YOU GIVE ONLY A SINGLE HIT
HOFI

Man have i been making serrated leaves the hard way. I used to just file the serrations in with a half round file after i forge the leaf. This looks like it will save me lots of time, especially when producing roses.