I Forge Iron

pipe transition help

olcarguy

I need to fab a transition from 4"OD to 2.25"OD for the air supply on my new forge. Problem is I seem to be forgetting many of the tricks I have learned along the way. I have built many transitions in the past but I'll be xxxxxx if I can remember how. I know I need the circumference of each piece and lay out with dividers on a perpendicular, but thats about it.

Old age sucks....new metal beater....old millwright

Lay a center line down on some paper. The length of the center line will be the length of the transition. Top of the center line make a line perpendicular to the center line and the length of the circumference of the of the 4 inch OD pipe. Bottom of the center line make a line perpendicular to the center line and the length of the circumference of the of the 2.25 inch OD pipe.

Divide both circumference lines into equal segments and make tick marks at the divisions. Connect top one with bottom one, top two with bottom two, etc. Bend on the lines and see how it lines up. Transfer to metal.

Be sure to add a bit beyond the circumference lines for a collar.